Author Topic: Official MB appreciation thread  (Read 275238 times)

NerdBee

Just wanted to say, I dl'd MusicBee a few days ago, and got so wrapped up in it that I decided I was going to start an MB wiki! ... Luckily I found this place, and discovered that that's already being done.  ::)

I think this software is fantastic. I hope that I can contribute to the documentation in some way, as starting out was frustrating. I found some documentation (here, I think) that was very sparse. It would talk about a library, for instance, without explaining what that is. It took me a long time to figure out that the folder that everything goes in is a library, and not the individual folders, like "Music", etc. ...

Anyway, thanks for doing this.

Alexis

Just wanted to say, I dl'd MusicBee a few days ago, and got so wrapped up in it that I decided I was going to start an MB wiki! ... Luckily I found this place, and discovered that that's already being done.  ::)

I think this software is fantastic. I hope that I can contribute to the documentation in some way, as starting out was frustrating. I found some documentation (here, I think) that was very sparse. It would talk about a library, for instance, without explaining what that is. It took me a long time to figure out that the folder that everything goes in is a library, and not the individual folders, like "Music", etc. ...

Anyway, thanks for doing this.

Very nice post!   There is some work going on here:  http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=6304.0
Your assistance/input would be certainly appreciated.
They are not lazy... just more efficient.

NerdBee

Thanks. :-) I'm trying to quote here, but I'm more used to Usenet (and Facebook).

I want to help out as much as I can, and part of that is selfish. I figure that if more people start to use and understand the software, that will spur development, or something like that.

I initially thought there was no documentation except the stuff on the site, so I was going to set up an empty wiki and just start slowly populating it, counting on the fact that no one would know of its existence for a while. But if the job means going into someone else's wiki, I'd have to figure the software out first. I don't have any wisdom to impart on it, because I'm still learning.

One thing I want to see is some form of usage algorithm, though that's probably the wrong term. I mean, the typical way in which someone would be likely to use the software. It's important. This sort of program is very habitual, but until one falls into the right habits, it can be frustrating, and the number of people who use it successfully would be smaller. Showing them how to use the software in a typical setup would be excellent.

Hope you're well.

9ido

yes,

i have to say thank you, too! this is a great piece of software! i have been looking for a great audioplayer for years, and i just didn't know about this one!

i started out a long time ago with winamp, i think version 2 was a great program for what is was. then, when we started to need media libraries, winamp just lost it. i bought an ipod and started to use itunes. my library grew and grew, itunes was getting more useless every day. it's got a great interface, but it's terribly slow for users with large libraries.

and now i have musicbee. and i love it!

thank you, steven. thank you very much!

all the best,
guido.

birdman541

Used about everything else. By far this music player/manager is the easiest, system friendly  players there is. And all of you designing add-ons and such, good job. Thanks Steven for this well supported player, And also it's free!

Nosh

MusicBee is by far the best organisation, tagging, and listening program I've found for my music. I used to use Foobar2000, and I had a custom setup I really liked. I still use that when listening while gaming for slightly lower resource consumption, but when doing anything else I use MusicBee. The interface almost exactly matches what I set up in Foobar200, right up to the queue panel. What really won me over was the mini player. Having that docked to the top of the screen saves on having to switch windows for most tasks, and I don't need to hover over it in the taskbar and wait for controls to pop up. It's nice, simple and fast. More time enjoying my music, less thought about controlling it.

Also, I can recommend MusicBee to friends with confidence. While Foobar is also an excellent piece of software, and it can be made to have an interface for anyone's needs, it takes configuration that most people don't want to do. Most people are pretty comfortable with iTunes, and want a similar interface with more tools, less resource consumption and maybe a queue panel. Other players like Clementine and AIMP3 have unfamiliar interfaces for most people, and others have interfaces that are similar, but look cluttered like Winamp and MediaMonkey.

I know a lot of people with a bunch of FLAC files that were using Foobar, but disliked it because they didn't want to spend time customising it. They just didn't really know what else was out there. I show them MusicBee every time, and I've yet to come across anyone who didn't immediately love it.

Once the video support goes into a stable release, MusicBee is going to be my single program solution to all my media needs.

diegop101

MusicBee is (by far) the best program I've found for my music. Thanks for the continuous development.

intripletime

Brilliant software. So many options :D Thank you so much.

fiipmode

Signed up as well just to say thanks. Since I finally ditched my ipod, I have no need for iTunes anymore (thank god). I hated it. I can't believe how much better MB is. Is this just one guy (Steven) who created this? Who is this guy, some diabolical genius?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I use MB with my iPod for the record
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Nosh

Signed up as well just to say thanks. Since I finally ditched my ipod, I have no need for iTunes anymore (thank god). I hated it. I can't believe how much better MB is. Is this just one guy (Steven) who created this? Who is this guy, some diabolical genius?

He's not particularly diabolical to the best of my knowledge, just a good programmer and a cool guy.

"I work as an IT project manager, but I don't get to do any hands-on development anymore. As I enjoy software programming as one of my hobbies, I have created a music manager and player application which I've made it available for personal use."

From http://download.cnet.com/windows/steven-mayall/3260-20_4-10056453.html

I use MB with my iPod for the record

I wish I could. I have the 6th gen Nano, which is a great little player, but it doesn't work with MusicBee's iPod management.
Oh well, I can deal with iTunes often enough to sync my player and then use MusicBee for everything else, so it's not a big deal.

bugmenot

Hi! Just wanted to drop a quick message. I really appreciate MusicBee. Great Software.
It really stands out in the competition. Even the big players like Winamp can't compete.

Thanks alot!

jmac

Music Bee is the player I had been looking for.  Steve gets what is important and cares to make it right and that is very much appreciated!  I have exclusively used MB now for a couple years or so and think more highly of it the more I use it...well done!

browm77

I just wanted to say thanks Steven! : )  Over the past few weeks, I've been amazed at how diligently you attend to questions (whether my own or others) and are more than willing to modify MB when someone makes a suggestion.  This is the best player I've ever used, and even when I think it can't get better, it somehow always does.  Thanks!

Vinyl Wiper

I just wanted to add my thanks... This is the best music management software I've ever used. And I've used ALL of them. I've spent over $2k in the last 16 years trying to find a tool that works with my music, the way I need it to - and until MB, nothing even came close.

The care and thought that's gone into nearly every aspect of the code is evident every time I start the app.

And I can do (and have done!) more in an hour with MusicBee than I could in months with Helium, and/or Musicmatch Jukebox (yeah, I'm showing my age now), and/or CatTrax, or Winamp (ha), or Hydrogen, etc, etc, etc.

And that's not an exaggeration - this morning, I just reorganised, renamed, and converted 7 years' worth of playlists with .aif, .mp3, .wav, .mp4, .m4a, .ogg, .flac, .bcw, and other crap, and without needing to read the manual (again, ha! - but I'm working on it) or worry about where stuff was going and what it'd be called.

As a professional audio restorator and personal music buff, I'm managing around 2 TB of sample-perfect audio, a couple hundred gigs of current customer work, and a badly busted RAID library's scraps, all in the one place.

I wish I could tell more people about this software. But until you see it all working together, it just bores the crap outta most people. And it shouldn't.

I just can't thank Stephen (and this gosh-darned community) enough. (Well, my pension's in next week, so I'll cough up some funds, at least).