Author Topic: Ability to overwrite files from MB  (Read 4763 times)

Maleko12

I'm in a process of improving the quality of some of my songs I have in my library from a lower bitrate to a higher bitrate. However, the way MB currently has it, if I move the improved songs into the to original songs' file, the improved songs just get copied over, and then I have to manually go through MB and check which songs are the improved songs, then I must do another reorganization so the filename doesn't have a "_1" at the end. What I hope can happen is MB will recognize that you're about to add a file with exactly (or even similar) the same filename and, with a prompt asking if you want to overwrite the old file with the new one, do just that.

I hope what I just wrote isn't confusing, I know I have a tendency of not writing as clear as I like ;D

ma_t14

This is a very good idea actually  :)

This is how I imagine it; New files are added to inbox, you use the file organizer to move them to an organized location and change filenames, MusicBee warns you that files with the same filename already exist and whether you want to overwrite, change filename or cancel operation

That's the basic idea. A further improvement would be to detect the bitrate and display a warning if the new files have a lower bitrate than the old ones

ps

Isn't this the wrong section to post a request  ::)
Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:15:18 PM by ma_t14

Maleko12

I like that as well... and yes, this is definitely in the wrong place. That's what happens with a lack of sleep :-[ :-[ :-[

EDIT: Now in the appropriate place!
Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:05:37 PM by Maleko12

Steven

• Administrator
there are 100 billion open requests on the wishlist now! i wont be able to look at this for some time

Maleko12

Maleko12

Steven

• Administrator
its done for the next update - it will prompt if the same file exists

Maleko12

Sorry, never had the opportunity to do anything with this until now... and nothing is being shown when I try to overwrite a file with MB. I have this version of MB just to be on the same page...

EDIT: Actually, I realize this NOT true if I simply use the "Move to Folder" option to move the files. However, I was expecting this to work for the "Move to Organized Folder" option as well, but it still shows that "Filename_1.codec" thing.
Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:07:20 AM by Maleko12