Author Topic: Audio Clipping when "Skip Silence" active  (Read 298 times)

heroclix

I had the "Skip Silence" option selected in the DSP Effects and I noticed some weird clipping going on at the start of a certain song. Tried it on another music player and it was fine. I eventually figured I'd turn off the DSP effects and, sure enough, there was no clipping when I started the song again. It seems to only be the Skip Silence effect that brings this issue.

Just applied latest patch as of posting: Version 3.6.8843

sveakul

The obvious explanation is that in that particular song there is just enough silence before the start of the actual music that the DSP interprets it as silence it is designed to skip, and therefore clips it out, perhaps with a bit too much margin.

heroclix

The obvious explanation is that in that particular song there is just enough silence before the start of the actual music that the DSP interprets it as silence it is designed to skip, and therefore clips it out, perhaps with a bit too much margin.
There is no silence at the beginning of the song. It might be to do with the crest factor. I only wanted to skip the longer periods of silence in some songs that have 'bonus' tracks at the end.

To clarify, it is not a single instance of clipping but rather repeated clipping that made me think something was wrong with my dac.

sveakul

There is no silence at the beginning of the song. It might be to do with the crest factor. I only wanted to skip the longer periods of silence in some songs that have 'bonus' tracks at the end.

To clarify, it is not a single instance of clipping but rather repeated clipping that made me think something was wrong with my dac.
What do you mean by "the crest factor?"  Also, you said first this happened with "a certain song," but now you say "it is not a single instance of clipping but rather repeated clipping."  Please clarify, thanks.

heroclix

What do you mean by "the crest factor?"  Also, you said first this happened with "a certain song," but now you say "it is not a single instance of clipping but rather repeated clipping."  Please clarify, thanks.
Crest factor, as in dynamic range. I meant not a single instance, as in not "just enough silence before the start of the actual music" that it "clips out" of the song, but rather it keeps on cutting out in split second bursts and allowing a clipped signal to play, and this carries on for like 15 seconds until the song gets a bit busier. I will regard this as a bug since it is detecting minor changes in volume that last less than a second and interpreting this as a period of silence that should be skipped.