Author Topic: Volume Analysis: Parallel execution for mupltiple files  (Read 434 times)

kamen

MusicBee processes the replaygain analysis file by file, one file at a time. With an ssd the system can easily handle more than one file, while utilizing as many cores as possible. The inefficiency is especially visible when processing several longer files (20 files - each 20 minutes long).

kamen

Thanks. The BASS library doesn't allow that.

I tried the solution proposed in "AN ALTERNATIVE EBU R128 LOUDNESS ANALYSIS TOOL USING RSGAIN", but it also processes the files sequentially when started in custom mode.

Steven

• Administrator
it looks like the replaygain library i am using can support multiple threads so i will look at improving processing on a per album basis

Steven

• Administrator
its faster but not to foobar level of speed (dont know how its so fast, even just reading the file with the bass library is a lot slower)

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee36_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

it uses the file converter max threads setting. In my own testing using a SSD the benefits are marginal after 6 threads

hiccup

it uses the file converter max threads setting. In my own testing using a SSD the benefits are marginal after 6 threads
Setting the max thread count to 10, I am seeing an actual speed improvement of around x2 compared to what it was.
Which is not the increase you might expect, considering the previous version only used 2 threads, but it is still an appreciated improvement.
(my music files are on a mechanical drive)

Steven

• Administrator
yeah i timed 10 threads at 2.5x improvement
I think the main constraint is reading the file data and thats relatively slow with the bass library compared with ffmpeg that i believe foobar uses. I will try one more thing though and post if it makes a difference

Steven

• Administrator
updated again, its around 25% faster than the recent update above. I think this is the best i can get it

hiccup

updated again, its around 25% faster than the recent update above. I think this is the best i can get it
Can it be that the download link still gives the previous patch?
(3.6.8856.29226)
Not sure, I had already overwritten the previous one.

Steven

• Administrator
One more thing that can improve performance is to use bass_aac.dll for m4a files. It performs 30-50% faster in my tests