Author Topic: Does MusicBee's Read/Write Performance Improve with its Portable Version on NAS?  (Read 189 times)

JUSTBLUE19

I've been scouring MusicBee forums and Reddit without finding a definitive answer to my question.
The closer thing I found were these old forum threads:

Topic: Want to generate Musicbee library into my Synology NAS and store all there  (Read 5341 times)
Topic: Manage library on my NAS?  (Read 534 times)
Topic: Can Musicbee manage a music library on NAS?  (Read 529 times)
Topic: Synology NAS; Laptop & Tablet accessing media and library from NAS.  (Read 440 times)
Topic: replicate my PC files and playlists in new laptop  (Read 9058 times)

I'm wondering if there's any advantage in terms of reading/writing speed when accessing MusicBee's database if I have the portable version of MusicBee stored on my NAS (Synology).

Currently, I'm using MusicBee installed from the Microsoft Store, accessing music files on the NAS by mapping a drive letter to the music files.
However, tasks like adding a single new tag to my entire collection (+20,000 songs) take over 12 hours.
I know it's a significant task, but I believe it should be faster.

Similarly, using a program like Onetagger for tagging, along with the subsequent need to analyze all files in MusicBee, is quite cumbersome.

I'm curious if having the portable version on the NAS could potentially speed up MusicBee's tag reading (in the case of bulk editing tags on Onetagger) or writing (in the case of bulk editing tags on MusicBee) processes.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

vincent kars

Musicbee in principle can be stored anywhere. However, as it is a Windows program, to run it it must be loaded in memory of a Win box. Hence this won't make a difference if it is about accessing files on a NAS except that loading Musicbee will become slow as well.

It looks like the transmission of files between your PC and NAS is very slow. 12 hours for only 20.000 sounds excessive to me.

JUSTBLUE19

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, your explanation really helps!

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is that when songs are being read and edited, regardless of whether MusicBee is located on the NAS or not, they have to go through the memory system (RAM?) of the PC, not the memory system of the NAS. Is that right?

I'm not too tech-savvy and English isn't my native language, so I appreciate your patience in breaking it down for me.

Also, I think the task took longer because I was following some instructions from another thread to convert the library from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4, and then saving a specific tag within all tracks once I selected the ID3v2.4 option in the settings. I suppose if I were just adding a new tag without changing the ID3 system, it would be faster.   :-\

Thanks for keeping this community alive and kicking!

vincent kars

The NAS functions as a external drive. As the NAS is Linux (most of the time) and the PC Windows, there is a layer (SAMBA) translating Win I/O into Linux I/O  over  the network. An entry level NAS might not be the fastest if it is about networked I/O.

I used a NAS for years until one day I switched to a local external SSD. Response is blistering compared with the NAS. From that time on I uses the NAS as "intended", a backup of my PC including the audio.

JUSTBLUE19

I get the picture now and you're absolutely right.
Being used to the lightning-fast speeds of today's SSDs, it's incredibly frustrating to deal with the slower performance of the HDDs in my NAS.
I really appreciate your advice. Thanks!!