Author Topic: Question about how Shuffle works in MusicBee  (Read 133 times)

ketchup79

I use the Shuffle option in MusicBee. It is set to Shuffle Randomly and Shuffle Tracks individually. I have a little over 2600 songs in my library.

Question (and a few sub-questions):
When is the shuffle actually used to generate the order of songs?
  Is the list generated only once, when the library is created?
  Or does it re-generate when the shuffle option is toggled on and off?
  Sometimes I will select a song individually, then go back to full library, while leaving the Shuffle option on. Would that re-generate the shuffle order?

Reason for the question - So I use this program about an hour a day, on average. It seemed like I was getting some repeats, which is not a big deal. But when I moved my music a couple weeks ago, I took the opportunity to create a new playlist (don't recall how old the previous one was, maybe 1 year).  What I found was that I was hearing songs I had not heard in a very long time (longer than the time period since generating my last playlist). That seemed odd to me, unless the answers to all the above questions are a yes.

Zak

• Global Moderator
MusicBee will only ever play tracks from the Playing Tracks list.
If shuffle is off, these tracks will play in order.
If shuffle is on, MusicBee will select the next track at random.

I don't think there's any way to add songs to the Playing Tracks list in a random order - the random track selection happens during playback, not when queuing songs (unless you're selecting them from a randomised auto-playlist, perhaps). Some of the wording of the various queuing commands is a little ambiguous, which was mentioned in a different thread about a month ago.
Bee excellent to each other...