Author Topic: change back request - don't move non music files  (Read 5268 times)

BigHam1

Hi Steven,

In 1.3.4222, you made this change:

"- change: when moving music files with the file organiser, as long as all the files from a folder are moved to the same new folder, and no music files remain in the original folder then any remaining files will be moved to the new folder"

One of the things I liked best about MusicBee is that the only files I have in the library are music files and nothing else. I embed album art. Super clean! With 1.3.4222, I have to go back in and delete any and all the other files after I add an album to the MB library.

Could you make it an option in MB preferences to "move all files" (per 1.3.4222) or "move only music files"?

Steven

• Administrator
"With 1.3.4222, I have to go back in and delete any and all the other files after I add an album to the MB library"

i dont understand that statement. If there are no music files remaining in a folder and all the music files were moved to the same new location it would also move the remaining files so i dont see how the above would apply.
Perhaps if you gave an example would help

BigHam1

Thanks Steven, previously, MusicBee used to leave the non-music files in the old folder. With the latest beta, it drags all the non-music files into the new folder in my MusicBee Library.  I liked the older functionality because when I was done tagging and reorganizing, I just deleted the old folder and any leftover non-music files. Now I have to manually go into the new folder, select all the non music files, and manually delete them. Does that make sense?

Another way to put it would be to simply have MusicBee "only reorganize music files / delete old folder (even if files remain) when reorganization completes"...

Steven

• Administrator
i've change the tick box in the file organiser that used to be 'delete folders that have no files remaining' to 'also move remaining non-music files'
if its unticked it has the old behavior
empty folders (as a result of moving files) are now automatically deleted

Maleko12

Just tested it out... and unfortunately it didn't move the non-music file. Well, actually, it didn't move the "Art' folder within the music folder. Instead, file organizer just said it completed the task with an error, which I'll assume is the following:

Code
8/1/2011 12:18:30 AM - 6.1.7601.65536 - 1.3.4229.33435 - System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.File.Move(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)
   at #=q$OEcSXwnz012YBBnbi64plrkHhg2rKslUF4AKhKeKoiCJDWbnqO$_KClua9w3HDa.#=qcd03XC1uxBMX43WupU$7cw==(#=quoLI1J2bWGjtfzqRK$Gizj0M0n_FOqZINgTc_3J2WoM= #=qjVAhGnza04D3YKgmp48QLg==, #=quoLI1J2bWGjtfzqRK$Gizj0M0n_FOqZINgTc_3J2WoM= #=qEgtBRR4VjyP0PkOrxIWmUw==)
   at #=qmxTlfBh$y0qPvms47Y_UhZ2uzCU5doX31KCxMHdAPuw=.#=qkk9i8Ujnrjwa65ALbAI7YdLalz7AuEztucV7uznWuPc=(Object #=qNEp6dFmv6$B3Bm9XFzx7Hw==)

Although I would prefer everything (including folders within the main music folder) to be moved, it may be easier to not display the "error".

Steven

• Administrator
thats fixed now - it should create the sub-folder when moving non-music files now
i'll post an update on the weekly updates topic in a little while

ejquin

Sorry, I must be blind, but where is that tickbox?   I don't see it under the file organiser settings.

Maleko12

mattisse

In general, the new feature to move non-music files is very valuable to me. Thanks for implementing it so quickly.

But I can also see BigHam1's point. There are frequently cases when it's not desirable to move remaining files together with the music, or at least not all of those files.

So how about this suggestion:
Before moving files, MB displays a dialog box. The dialog lists all non-music files that are remaining in the folder. The user then can select the files he wants to move to the target folder. All other files remain in the source directory.

For me this would make the perfect solution. What do others think?

Steven

• Administrator
since the original post, the file organiser now includes a setting to flag whether you want non-music files to be moved (subject to the conditions stated in the release notes). Its in the latest weekly update release

BigHam1

1.3.4230 works like a charm, music files are moved and all non music files are left behind. Perfect! Love the fact that the "also move remaining non music files" box remembers my preference and remains unticked when organizing the next album.

@Matisse, "move all" or "move no" (non music files & folders) might cover the majority of users when reorganizing, so an additional dialog to "choose files" might be an unnecessary step. For me a 100% music file library is a thing of beauty - I'm lovin' my MB!