Author Topic: When exporting to itunes xml, the tracks in the playlists have a different order  (Read 387 times)

Nixander

Hi,
I use musicbee since a long time. I also use it for organizing my DJ playlists. All the DJ Programs work with Itunes, so the option to have a itunes xml export is neat. Unfortunatly, the track order inside of the playlists is not working. This is annoying, because i have to do the sorting by hand again...
I hope its possible to fix :):)

Gr Nixander

frankz

Once you have it sorted as you wish, right click the playlist in the playlist explorer (left pane) and select List->Update Play Order

Nixander

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunatly that doesnt work for me.... Does it work for you when you export to xml and import to itunes / or other programs?

All the best
Nixander

frankz

I do not export to export xml to import to anything.  This is the way to update the natural order of the playlist to what you currently see on the screen.  This will change the order of the tracks in the actual (m3u or whatever) playlist file.  

There is no reason that I can think of that it would not carry over to the xml export of the playlist.  Once the playlist file is updated, how would MB even know another order in which to export it?

Steven

• Administrator
for static playlists MB exports in the order the files are added to the playlist ie. no sorting is done.
for auto-playlists MB exports in the defined sort order or column sort order if any is set, otherwise there will be no specific order applied

Nixander

Hi Steven,

thank you for your explanation. So I understand, it is intended behaviour that the xml export is sorted by the time, the files were added to the playlist and not the order?

Is there any work around you could think of, so that I don't have to do the order by hand in all other programs which use the iTunes XML?

Or would this be a wishlist request?

Maybe an option in the setting would be great, that order in playlists get updated automatically + also implemented when exporting to xml.

All the best

frankz

for static playlists MB exports in the order the files are added to the playlist ie. no sorting is done.
for auto-playlists MB exports in the defined sort order or column sort order if any is set, otherwise there will be no specific order applied
To clarify, Update Play Order has no effect on the playlist as it is exported?  MB remembers the order in which the tracks were added to the playlist regardless of having run Update Play Order and exports them to xml in the added order?

Nixander

This what I am experiencing...

Maybe Steven can clarify if this is intended behaviour?

Also I am thinking about the reasons why this could be the intended behaviour :) ?

Steven

• Administrator
once again, for static playlists the order is the natural order from the playlist, not the date added to the playlist

frankz

OK @Nixander, it's verified that what I said initially is correct.  if you update the natural order of the playlist correctly, your static playlists will export in that natural order. The order in which they were added to the playlist will not be relevant, nor will any sort order you see visually but do not update.

So it seems you are not properly updating the order of the playlist after sorting and arranging it as you wish to have it sorted as I described in Reply #2.

Nixander

okay, I will try again. Cant imagine why its not working for me. I tried several times last time, the way you decribed it in post 2.

Thank you for the help until now... Will get back...