Author Topic: Alphabetical folder structure  (Read 271 times)

Darmok

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. I'm trying to sync my device so that it automatically creates a folder structure in which every artist is divided alphabetically in a different folder according to their first letter. So, one folder for every artist starting with A, one for B artists, etc. My device is slow to navigate and having hundreds of artists all in the same folder would be a nightmare. I want it to look like this:

A\Aerosmith\1976 - Rocks\01 - Back In The Saddle
B\Black Sabbath\1970 - Paranoid\01 - War Pigs
etc.

I know there is a way to do this (or at least there was) since I had done it years ago, most likely with an older version of MusicBee. I think I used some basic form of regex, which were fresh in my mind back then, but now I forgot all about it and I have no way to retrieve it. Can anyone tell me what I should put in the naming settings? Thanks.
Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:48:25 PM by Darmok

tjinc

Hi Darmok and welcome to the forum,

You can use the $Left function for this.
For example you might want to use something like this in the device music files naming template:
Code
$Left(<Sort Album Artist>,1)\<Album Artist>\<Year (yyyy)> - <Album>\<Track#> - <Title>

Darmok

Hi tjinc, thanks for the quick reply!

That is exactly what I was looking for and it worked lile a charm, thanks a lot!