Author Topic: Offset default pointer (dis)placement in modals with "Skin Window Borders"  (Read 261 times)

Messiaen

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (there seem to be more posts about skins on this forum than any other topic), but when the borders are set to be skinned, some (not all) popup modal windows place the default mouse position exactly 32 pixels above the default button position, so the mouse pointer is no longer on the button itself.

None-too-curiously, it turns out the header-bar is - wait for it - 32 pixels high.  :)

This applies to the windows for:

Tools -> Convert Format
Tools -> Tagging Tools -> Renumber Tracks
Tools -> Artwork Downloader
etc...

Strangely, this does not happen for things like Tools -> Tagging Tools -> Search/Replace or even the main MB Options window.

So, for example, what would ordinarily be a simple two-click action like using a toolbar button to convert tracks (once to open the window and again to accept the default settings), means the mouse must be physically moved down before being able to click the Proceed button.

Occurs for all skins. If the "Skin Window Borders" option is unticked, the default mouse positioning acts as expected.

Steven

• Administrator
can you post a screenshot and which skin you are using. No one has ever reported such an issue before so i am a little skeptical this is a general problem

Messiaen

Well, that's odd.  I could of course post a screenshot but it would only show the mouse pointer correctly centered horizontally over the default button, but appearing (consistently) vertically 32 pixels above where it's supposed to be - so there's not much to see.

As I said, this happens for all skins when "Skin Windows Borders" is selected, except the "Windows Theme" which disables that item anyway.  If I manually untick the menu item, everything works fine.

I did try to search for similar complaints, but nothing turned up.  It's not a new problem - I had it on an old Win7 machine, but considering I just re-installed (from scratch) Win10 a couple of weeks ago, it's not a system problem.  I just assumed that most people untick the windows "Mouse Properties -> Pointer Options -> Auto-move pointer to default button in a dialog box" option for some reason.

I have no software running which effects the mouse (default drivers), nor anything which manipulates windows rendering itself (such as Window Blinds, etc.)  I use a single monitor, with DPI at %125.  I originally thought this could somehow be a DPI issue, but it's not - same behaviour at %100.

Just for laughs I just tried nuking my MB settings file (and .bak) but it makes no difference.

Moving the main-menu and/or the command-buttons toolbar in and out of the caption bar makes no difference.  It can't possibly be a coincidence that the vertical offset is exactly the height of the caption bar.

This is absolutely consistent: for example, clicking Tools -> Convert Format the window opens and the pointer moves to above (but not ON) the Proceed button.  If, however, I click on Tools -> Tagging -> Search and Replace the pointer moves to where it's supposed to be, perfectly centered on the Close button.

All that being said, if no one else can reproduce this issue, then I guess it's somehow a local problem, but I don't understand how it could only effect a single programme (MusicBee), and no others, and only when the borders are skinned.

:-\

I guess I'll just live with it - it's not exactly a huge problem, but it is a strange one.

hiccup

Well, that's odd.  I could of course post a screenshot but it would only show the mouse pointer correctly centered horizontally over the default button, but appearing (consistently) vertically 32 pixels above where it's supposed to be
You are not crazy Messiaen, this is definitely an existing bug, that I also reported quite some years ago.

I did try to search for similar complaints, but nothing turned up.
I can't find my earlier post on this either. it contained screenshots of the misplacement too.
(it's not the first time I suspect some older posts have disappeared)

I just assumed that most people untick the windows "Mouse Properties -> Pointer Options -> Auto-move pointer to default button in a dialog box" option for some reason.
It's the other way around: Windows has it unticked by default.
And it's one of the things I activate first with every new Windows install.
But most people are probably not aware of this feature.

Messiaen

You are not crazy Messiaen, this is definitely an existing bug...
Thanks for the confirmation.

To be honest I have been using the same portable install (updated as it goes) for a few years now, so it isn't impossible that something could have become corrupted - as such I spent an hour this afternoon completely rebuilding my setup without using any of my old settings or files.  And... the results were exactly the same.  I'm as sure as I can be that user-settings/plugins aren't a contributing factor, as this is also extant in a default vanilla install.

Thanks again.

hiccup

…as such I spent an hour this afternoon completely rebuilding my setup without using any of my old settings or files.  And... the results were exactly the same.
Rest assured, it's not you.
I have observed this bug since the very first day I have been using MusicBee.

It's not us, it's them ;-)