Author Topic: iTunes can't import MusicBee library XML.  (Read 539 times)

60sGarage

I searched here and could not a reference to this particular error.  I am on MusicBee 3.5.8698, and iTunes 12.13.1.3.
I set my MusicBee library to export to an XML file to iTunes, in Edit Preferences > Library > "export the library as iTunes formatted XML file."
When I try to import it into iTunes, I get this error every time:

"An unknown error occurred (-50)."

Maybe it's some garbage path in the XML, but I'm not sure.  Would really like to get this working.

Thanks.

frankz

How big is your library? (i.e., is it possible to visually scan the XML to see if anything looks problematic or are there too many entries?)

Generally, I'm not sure how much help the MB forum can be in diagnosing errors that are thrown by a completely different software, but maybe someone has experienced something similar and can point you in the right direction.

60sGarage

Yeah, I know, -- the error is coming from iTunes, but I'm thinking that maybe MusicBee might be producing a bad XML file.

My music library is 37,000 songs.

hiccup

"An unknown error occurred (-50)."
Considering it is an itunes error message and not one from MusicBee, have you been able to find out what that error code stands for?

hiccup

Google leads here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2220397?sortBy=best
That seems to point to some 'invalid character' issue.
So the OP inspecting his XML for those could be a next step in solving the issue.

frankz

The thread mentions there may be file verification tools that can do this automatically, but I think I've done the amount of legwork I'm willing to do at this point. 

Let us (and future readers) know how it works out, OP.

60sGarage

Thanks, guys!
That was pretty much what I was thinking was going on, when I said that maybe MusicBee was creating a "bad XML."  I didn't mean necessarily that MB was creating incorrect XML code (though, that was a possibility), but thought it was probably more likely that there was something in the perfectly correct XML that it created that iTunes just doesn't like.

My next challenge is that the XML file is over a million lines long, and I'm not sure what all to search for that iTunes might consider to be an "invalid" character.  Not sure what to search for there, other than possibly some foreign language characters.  I'll see what I can figure out.

hiccup

...the XML file is over a million lines long...
Here I am, hoping that's a typo.
But it isn't, is it?

60sGarage

Nope, this XML is 1,035,000 lines long.   :-X

And I have no idea what iTunes thinks is an "invalid character."

I'm checking to see where it stops and errors out for any clues.

60sGarage

Figured it out!

A bunch of my files had this in the Comments field (I'm not sure if this will show up in this forum post):  
Which looks like a white-text-on-black-background ETX in the MusicBee comment and in the XML.
Years ago, I used a program called iDFX to enhance the audio on some of my MP3s.  It added that text to the Comments.

Phew...I only had to look about 5,000 lines down into the XML rather than a million to find this,  :D so I got lucky.

60sGarage

Oh, and I also wanted to say sorry for posting this in the Bugs section since it turned out NOT to be a MusicBee bug at all -- which is sort of what I suspected, but couldn't find anywhere else to post this that felt appropriate.

Thanks for your help!

hiccup

All's well that ends well ;-)
And welcome to the forum 60sGarage.

frankz

Yes, welcome.  We could always use more bona fide problem solvers here.  Consider sticking around even though your issue is resolved.

hiccup

Yes, welcome.  We could always use more bona fide problem solvers here.  Consider sticking around even though your issue is resolved.
And consider getting rid of iApplestuff ;-)