Author Topic: AutoPlaylists: Automatically create an exception rule when deleting items  (Read 4876 times)

ma_t14

Let's say you create an autoplaylist and start listening to tracks it generates. But then you want to remove 10 albums from the autoplaylist you don't quite like to have in the playlist for some reason.

If you try to delete an item it just wont let you because it is within the rules used to create the autoplaylist. My suggestion is that when you delete an item it automatically creates a specific rule in the autoplaylist to exclude the item. No need to edit the autoplaylist and add exceptions manually. That would get more and more difficult the more items you wish to add exceptions for.

What do you think?

Anti

I like this idea in principle, however...

Deciding how to make an exception takes quite a bit of human reasoning.
Devoid of this kind of logic, MusicBee would have just to add an exception rule for each track deleted.
So you could potentially have hundreds of exception rules in the autoplaylist.

Given the choice between that, and making a more intelligent exception rule myself, I think I'd usually
just manually change the rule set, and not really use the suggested feature.

ma_t14

Given the choice between that, and making a more intelligent exception rule myself, I think I'd usually
just manually change the rule set, and not really use the suggested feature.

There wont exist a "more intelligent exception rule". I'm strictly speaking about random data. If there was more a more intelligent rule I would not be hunting for the files from within the playlist to delete them. I would just create the rule from the start.
Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:01:57 PM by ma_t14

boroda

ma_t14, simple example. If you delete the track from auto-playlist this may mean that want to exclude all tracks which have the same value for one of tag or for some of tags or for all tags. How MB should guess your intension?

Steven

• Administrator
i was thinking all MB would do is maintain a list of excluded filenames, so each file you remove gets added to the excluded file list for that auto-playlist

ma_t14

i was thinking all MB would do is maintain a list of excluded filenames, so each file you remove gets added to the excluded file list for that auto-playlist

That is exactly what I was thinking. I fully support this idea. That way the autoplaylist wont be flooded with exception rules
Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:21:57 PM by ma_t14

Anti

> i was thinking all MB would do is maintain a list of excluded filenames, so each file
> you remove gets added to the excluded file list for that auto-playlist

But does that not mean that when you open the playlist dialogue that there might be dozens or even hundreds of tracks listed as exceptions?

Steven

• Administrator

ma_t14

ma_t14, simple example. If you delete the track from auto-playlist this may mean that want to exclude all tracks which have the same value for one of tag or for some of tags or for all tags. How MB should guess your intension?

I am not expecting MusicBee to make assumptions. Its pretty simple, you make a selection, hit delete, items dissapear. It makes sense, right? Currently hitting delete does nothing...
Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:06:45 PM by ma_t14

Anti

+1 for this feature as described. I think it would be very useful to quickly 'prune' and clean-up auto-playlists
that aren't based on randomised track selection (ie. ones that don't change every time they're loaded).

boroda

I am not expecting musibee to make assumptions. Its pretty simple, you make a selection, hit delete, items dissapear. It makes sense, right. Currently hitting delete does nothing...
Yes, this makes sense.

Steven

• Administrator