Author Topic: Sort artist and sort album artist fields  (Read 273 times)

Dzib

I try to understand how the "sort as" fields are working.
Sometimes the sort artist value is written in white and sometimes in grey. What's the difference ?
Also, when I import my library into GMMP, sometimes the sort artist field is recognized and sometimes it's not...

One more thing, is it possible to use something else than a semi colon as separator for multiple artists ?

Thanks for any help  ;)

To illustrate :

Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 05:20:38 PM by Dzib

boroda

1. gray sort values are just empty sort values; they are duplicates of corresponding "not-sorted values". these original "not-sorted values" will be used for actual sorting if "sort values" are empty.

2. i don't use "sort tags" in MB, so I can't help much, but MB has two independent "sorting approaches." one uses physical tags, and another (more powerful) uses an MB database only. maybe other forum members could explain it in more detail. or you can search the forum for MB sorting options.

3. i don't think that anything except a semicolon will be accepted by MB as a multi-value separator.

Zak

• Global Moderator
One more thing, is it possible to use something else than a semi colon as separator for multiple artists ?
No. This has been discussed many times before and the developer has said he has no intention of changing this.
Bee excellent to each other...

Dzib

Ok, so if I understand it right, it's normal that when a sort artist field is gray in MB, it's empty in GMMP after syncing ?
I guess I'll have to set these fields manually
Thanks for your help 😉

boroda

Ok, so if I understand it right, it's normal that when a sort artist field is gray in MB, it's empty in GMMP after syncing ?

yes.

I guess I'll have to set these fields manually

you'll have to set them, but only for tags, which you want to sort in some way other than the default.