Author Topic: vgmstream support  (Read 1866 times)

LayerConclusion22

Would be amazing to see MusicBee get vgstream support like foobar2000 has

boroda

i don't have time to dig into the details of this plugin, but i see that there is a Winamp version. winamp plugins are partially supported by MB, so you could try this version for MB.

sveakul

Yes, as Boroda says, Winamp "in_*" plugins are supported, add them in Preferences/Player/input Plugins/Import Winamp.  Download the Winamp support zip at the link you posted and give in_vgmstream.dll a try;  the docs say that 11 support libraries need to be included in the folder where the .exe resides, all of which are included (among others) in the zip--refer to the documentation--avcodec-vgmstream-59.dll, avformat-vgmstream-59.dll, avutil-vgmstream-57.dll, libatrac9.dll, libcelt-0061.dll, libcelt-0110.dll, libg719_decode.dll, libmpg123-0.dll, libspeex-1.dll, libvorbis.dll, swresample-vgmstream-4.dll.

There is also a bass_vgmstream.dll out there (https://github.com/X-Hax/sadx-mod-loader/blob/master/extlib/bass/bass_vgmstream.dll) that MIGHT work if you put it in the main MusicBee folder along with three support files: libg7221_decode.dll, libmpg123-0.dll, and libvorbis.dll.  You can find those 3 also at https://github.com/X-Hax/sadx-mod-loader/tree/master/extlib/bass .

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
I tried adding the "in_vgmstream.dll" as a plugin in MusicBee but it seems to only support files that start with "mb_" so I renamed it to "mb_in_vgmstream.dll".
However, it gives me an error saying: 
"Unable to initialize plugin. DLL entry point: Initialise was not found"

Any suggestions?
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

BoringName

I haven't tried this so no idea if it would work but I believe the method you need to follow is-

Edit Preferences->Player

There is tab for input plugins and a button "import Winamp". Click that button and browse to the in_vgmstream.dll file.

J24

Thanks although I got a message that says:
"the selected file is not a supported input plugin"

That said, if I add the contents of the vgmstream zip I downloaded to the music bee plugins folder in Program Files, I do see an entry for vgmstream in the input plugins list in the "Player" preferences. However, if I try to play a .kvs audio file, I get an an error that says:

"unable to open file (error=BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN)

I tried downloading the bass_vgmstream.dll file from the post above but still getting the same error.

BoringName

Yeah I'm getting that message too. I went back to a 2019 version and the same issue. I think it's a problem with that particular plugin.

I had no problems importing in_opus.dll with that method.

BoringName

This might be pretty much what you did but I grabbed the winamp link from here - https://vgmstream.org/

Copied all the contents of that zip folder to
C:\Users\<J24>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\Plugins

Replace <j24> with your username.

When I did this it shows up in the player tab and when I hit configure it opens the config tab for it.

I don't have a KVS sample to test it on. Can you provide a link?

Ok I got a file to test it on and I get the same error BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN. I'd say it's related to the error message about it not being a supported plugin. Probably can't do much unless Steven gets involved.
Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 09:27:56 AM by BoringName

sveakul

Thanks although I got a message that says:
"the selected file is not a supported input plugin"

That said, if I add the contents of the vgmstream zip I downloaded to the music bee plugins folder in Program Files, I do see an entry for vgmstream in the input plugins list in the "Player" preferences. However, if I try to play a .kvs audio file, I get an an error that says:

"unable to open file (error=BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN)

I tried downloading the bass_vgmstream.dll file from the post above but still getting the same error.

If you're trying the Winamp input method, do NOT rename the plugin, keep it as "in_vgmstream.dll" and load it via the "Import Winamp" button in the "Input Plugins" section of Prefs/Player.  Here is what I make out of the instructions of using that plugin--what I would try, although it's up to YOU to do that! :

1.  Download the primary/support files package here: https://github.com/vgmstream/vgmstream-releases/releases/download/nightly/vgmstream-win.zip.

2.  Extract the entire contents of the zip into a folder named "in_vgmstream" and place that folder inside the main MusicBee directory (the one containing MusicBee.exe).

3.  Open MusicBee, and using the "Import Winamp" button in the "Input Plugins" section of Prefs/Player browse to and select the "in_vgmstream.dll" file.

4.  Hit the "Save" button, and restart MusicBee.  Then try to play a vgm file.

And how I would go about trying the BASS method INSTEAD OF the above Winamp method:

1.  Download "bass_vgmstream.dll" from here: https://github.com/X-Hax/sadx-mod-loader/blob/master/extlib/bass/bass_vgmstream.dll , and place it directly into the MusicBee main folder with the other Bass dll's.

2.  Download the support package here: http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream_external_dlls.zip;  from it unzip these 3 files also directly into the MusicBee main folder with the Bass file:  libg7221_decode.dll, libmpg123-0.dll and libvorbis.dll.

3.  Restart MusicBee, and try to play a vgm file.

Next step is after trying one or both of these methods (I would try the BASS method first), POST BACK and tell us if it worked!!!  Good luck!
Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 09:28:59 AM by sveakul

J24

Thanks for looking into it! here's a kvs file:
https://file.io/s85MhrdeJQMS

I was able to use the vgmstream foobar plugin and play the file there so I know this file is good.

What you said is almost what I did except I copied over the contents of the zip to the Plugins folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\

Thanks!

sveakul

I had no problems importing in_opus.dll with that method.
Why would you use a Winamp input plugin for Opus when MusicBee already has native support for that format via bassopus.dll?

J24

If you're trying the Winamp input method, do NOT rename the plugin, keep it as "in_vgmstream.dll" and load it via the "Import Winamp" button in the "Input Plugins" section of Prefs/Player.  Here is what I make out of the instructions of using that plugin--what I would try, although it's up to YOU to do that! :

1.  Download the primary/support files package here: https://github.com/vgmstream/vgmstream-releases/releases/download/nightly/vgmstream-win.zip.

2.  Extract the entire contents of the zip into a folder named "in_vgmstream" and place that folder inside the main MusicBee directory (the one containing MusicBee.exe).

3.  Open MusicBee, and using the "Import Winamp" button in the "Input Plugins" section of Prefs/Player browse to and select the "in_vgmstream.dll" file.

4.  Hit the "Save" button, and restart MusicBee.  Then try to play a vgm file.

And how I would go about trying the BASS method INSTEAD OF the above Winamp method:

1.  Download "bass_vgmstream.dll" from here: https://github.com/X-Hax/sadx-mod-loader/blob/master/extlib/bass/bass_vgmstream.dll , and place it directly into the MusicBee main folder with the other Bass dll's.

2.  Download the support package here: http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream_external_dlls.zip;  from it unzip these 3 files also directly into the MusicBee main folder with the Bass file:  libg7221_decode.dll, libmpg123-0.dll and libvorbis.dll.

3.  Restart MusicBee, and try to play a vgm file.

Next step is after trying one or both of these methods (I would try the BASS method first), POST BACK and tell us if it worked!!!  Good luck!

Thanks, I tried those steps but was getting an error for the libmpg123-0.dll so I deleted the one from the "support package" and copied the one from the "primary package" to the MusicBee main folder.
Apparently 2 out of 3 of those files from the support package are included in the primary package too.

I then was able to import the DLL without errors on the preferences but when I try to play a music file I still get the "unable to open file (error=BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN)"

BoringName

Why would you use a Winamp input plugin for Opus when MusicBee already has native support for that format via bassopus.dll?

Why does anybody do anything?

I was just testing the first in_*.dll file I found to rule out any problems with the import process. Knowing that worked means it's most likely a problem with in_vgmsteam.dll and not Musicbee.

I had the same issue with libmpg as J24, I just deleted it. I tried a bunch of different things but couldn't get passed the Bass_Error_Unknown problem.

sveakul

BoringName and J24:  I tried both of my "suggested" methods, and unfortunately I had the same experience you did--nothing worked.  The Winamp in_ * file wouldn't load, and I couldn't even get a "Bass Error Unknown" out of the Bass method--just zero playback.  I was testing that one against the KVS file J24 uploaded.

Frustrating.  Well, definitely an item for the Wishlist!!  :(

Steven

• Administrator
bass_vgmstream wont work but if someone sends me a vgm file i can have a look