Author Topic: How to make the scrolling track info wider?  (Read 1857 times)

ProgressBar

New to MusicBee, like it a lot so far. I pretty much only use it for listening to streams (ambient, radio 3, different news stations etc.)

My question is about the scrolling bit at the bottom of the player. It shows me the artist/track that is currently being streamed. You can see the bit I'm referring to in the image. It seems needlessly small/narrow. There is a lot of space around it in the player and it would be convenient if that bit was wider and displayed more of the scrolling text.

Is there a way to make that scrolling text section wider? Many thanks.

karbock

Hello ProgressBar, and welcome to the forum!

The width of the scrolling space (with the current track) is defined in each skin,
and fortunately there are a bunch of skins which reserve almost the full width for that
by putting all the controls on a separate row below the scrolling zone.

A selection, in the dark flavour:
* Cassette C90 (Dark)
* Ceva Magna (Dark)
* the Enigma series: Black, Bright, Carbon, Vivid
* P-D2 (Dark)
* PodZ Colour (Dark), choose only the file matching "PodZ1"
* PodZ Glass (Dark), choose only the file matching "PodZ1"
They were all designed by Clarence.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
@ProgressBar
For my own interest, please share the name of the skin on your screenshot - I'd like to see the overall look of that player panel.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

ProgressBar

Hi karbock, thank you for the welcome. I will try some of the skins you suggest.

Hi Mayibongwe, I believe the skin I'm currently using is MidnightMETRO. I like dark skins because I tend to use the player at night to listen to ambient/drone streams. I just wish the scrolling info bit was bigger (but I'll try the suggested skins).

Flourgrader

ProgressBar

I thought installing a skin would be easy. I looked at https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Skins but I fell at the first hurdle....where is MusicBee installed? I cannot fiind it anywhere. I have it running on my Win 10 laptop but no matter where I search I cannot find the MusicBee folder.

The Skins wiki mentions C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Skins. When I look in C:\Program Files (x86)\ there is no MusicBee folder. Anybody have any idea where I can find it?

Roby

What version of MB do you have?
Try Menu View > Skins > Add Skin...

ProgressBar

Version 3.5.8447

View > Skins > Add Skin... just opens the downloads folder (which is empty).

karbock

Version 3.5.8447

View > Skins > Add Skin... just opens the downloads folder (which is empty).
You're on the right path. This is the detailed process to install a new skin:
  • Download the skin from MusicBee's site.
    (onto your regular Downloads folder is the best, otherwise remember where the downloaded file is stored)
  • Launch MB, and open menu View > Skins > Add Skin...
  • Within the file selection window, locate & select the file you have just downloaded (with extension .xml, .xmlc, or .zip).
    If it's a .zip, you don't need to unpack it first, MB does the job for you.
    The skin file will be automatically copied onto the correct location, and MB will restart with the new skin applied.

Thus, you don't need to know where precisely your skins are located.

But if you still want to be able to locate MB's folder, here is a simple method to trace it:
  • Launch MB.
  • Press [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Esc], which will open the Task Manager.
  • In tab 'Processes', locate and right-click MusicBee.
  • Select 'Open file location'

ProgressBar

I found the install location. Apparently it's installed here:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\50072StevenMayall.MusicBee_3.5.8447.0_x86__kcr266et74avj\win32

Odd. Anybody have any clue why mine is installed there and not at C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\

hiccup

Odd. Anybody have any clue why mine is installed there and not at C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\
That's what you get when you install software from Microsoft's app store.

phred

• Global Moderator
Get rid of the Store version and download/install the Installer version or the Portable version (preferred) from the first forum topic.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ProgressBar

Ohhh I get it now. I see...I must have installed from the MS app store. Not sure why I did that, I never use their app store. Well I don't like it one little bit. I'd prefer to have MB installed in the proper location. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the "Installer Edition" from here:
https://www.getmusicbee.com/downloads/

Anything I should be aware of doing that? I guess I'm going to lose all my current stream bookmarks now. Do you know of any way to export those and import them in the reinstalled version?

hiccup

Anything I should be aware of doing that? I guess I'm going to lose all my current stream bookmarks now. Do you know of any way to export those and import them in the reinstalled version?
While this: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36875.msg202297#msg202297
does not mention how and where the Store version puts the relevant files, it should help you see what files may be important to you, and help to be able to locate them and possibly import them in the new non-store install.

sveakul

Ohhh I get it now. I see...I must have installed from the MS app store. Not sure why I did that, I never use their app store. Well I don't like it one little bit. I'd prefer to have MB installed in the proper location. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the "Installer Edition" from here:
https://www.getmusicbee.com/downloads/

Please download the Portable version instead, and install it to a folder outside of the Windows permissions hierarchy, like "C:\MusicBee."  You'll thank me the first time you need to make a backup.  I don't know what you mean by "stream bookmarks" but if you are talking about Radio Station entries you can export those first by right-clicking the Radio header and choosing Export Stations.  Then they can be imported back later.