Author Topic: How to copy track playlist(s) to Genre tag, and why...  (Read 855 times)

dannylee11

So for years I have been creating a very comprehensive playlist collection in MB, there's well over 100 with thousands of songs in each one.

Many other music applications, and hardware, do not support these playlists.  However, I'm aware there are other cumbersome ways around this by exporting each playlist, individually, to a different file format, then editing that file to modify the path location of each song reference to fit that particular application or hardwares needs.  Anyone that has done this knows it will eat hours of your time, and then when you add new music to the playlist you have to repeat the entire process from the beginning.

Since most of the other music applications, and hardware, support playback via the "genre" tag, I had the idea of writing the playlist that each song belongs to to that song's "genre" tag, and this would eliminate so much time and effort of dealing with that convoluted process of exporting playlist files, and individually modifying them.

So now the problem would be going through each song in my collection one by one, and copying the name of each playlist it belongs to to the genre tag field..
 This process would likely take a century or longer.

My question:  Does anyone know of a method, plugin, script, addon, 3rd party software, alternative idea, or any other way to automate the process of copying the names of each playlists that each music file belongs to to the genre tag field of those files?

If someone can answer this, you will make this very long time MB user extremely happy!

hiccup

I'm not even close to suggesting a solution, but to be sure that I understand what you are asking for:
You would like to replace the value in the 'genre' tag with the name of the playlist the file is a part of?

dannylee11

I'm not even close to suggesting a solution, but to be sure that I understand what you are asking for:
You would like to replace the value in the 'genre' tag with the name of the playlist the file is a part of?

Yes you got it.

I would add that I could still keep the typical genre tags that go with the song, and in addition to add the name of the playlists along with them.  So it would looks something like this:

Genre: Rock, Blues Rock, Classic Rock, "PL: Playlist 1", "PL: Playlist 2", "PL: Playlist 3", etc..

Personally I would add the "PL:" prefix to the playlist name in order to keep the playlist grouped together in a list.

So for example... Plex does not allow you to even import any kind of playlist file, which renders it useless to me.  If each song had each of it's playlists written to the genre tag, then I could simply import the songs into Plex and arrange by Genre, this would then list all my playlists, along with typical genres... problem solved.

Or in my case, I bought a Fiio R7 Streamer (awesome device), but there is no easy way to import my MB playlists, and even if I did, I would have to reimport them every time I added a new song to one.  If they playlists names were written to the Genre tags, all I would have to do is scan/rescan my music collection, then sort/arrange by genre and wha-la!  All my playlist would be listed there.

Another benefit is that writing the playlists name to the genre tag is that now that playlist is safe forever... it's saved to the song itself, and travels with the song anywhere it goes.  But saved to a playlist file, the file could be corrupted, deleted, incompatible, etc.. and now you lost hours and hours of effort you spent creating that playlist file. 

Most applications and hardware allow you to sort by Genre, so it will work instantly with almost anything, with out the need to import any kind of playlist files.

Hopefully that makes since! 

dannylee11

The first thing that comes to mind is using the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin.

And then perhaps using this:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35032.0

This looks promising... once I get home I'll see what I can do with this and report back.  In the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions, please dont hesitate!