Author Topic: Bio Language  (Read 1743 times)

Fox63

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=39977.0

In this thread we talked about the language of biographies.
Wouldn't it be more convenient to eliminate all the automation?
After all, for the images of artists you often find images that have nothing to do with the artist, not even remotely.
The biography is always in English and sometimes even here it is incorrect or cannot be found.
To search for biographies in my language I created a link in the internet preferences https://www.last.fm/it/music/<Artist>/+wiki and the biography is displayed in my language if present. But I always have to copy and paste it into the bio panel.
It happened to me that the image of the artist found was that of an industrialist of the same name as the artist searched for.
My request: can't all the automatic systems be removed?
And perhaps insert a button, a menu that by clicking it downloads the biography manually, as happens with the covers.
And while we're at it. Why is the artist image in the music explorer not linked to the image in the artist image panel?

frankz

-1.  No.  I think most of what's done by MB automatically is quite popular despite the occasional incorrect image or lyric.

The user can quite easily turn off features they don't want and/or ignore retrieved data that doesn't meet their needs.  There's no reason to remove these features making them available to no one.
Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 01:27:32 PM by frankz

Fox63

-1.  No.  I think most of what's done by MB automatically is quite popular despite the occasional incorrect image or lyric.

The user can quite easily turn off features they don't want and/or ignore retrieved data that doesn't meet their needs.  There's no reason to remove these features making them available to no one.

Thanks for the reply
Where do I disable the automatic features for artist and bio images?
I didn't find it!!!
In any case, I didn't say to eliminate the service but to make it manual, perhaps with a button or a pop-up menu with the right mouse button.
Automations are useful but not default.
An example: Loradana Bertè in music explorer does not exist because on iTunes they write Loredana Berte' which is incorrect but in this way I, who spell the name correctly, cannot see the biography or the discography, even though I have inserted a correct biography in the panel.
In conclusion, I'll generally leave aside the biographies: MB is an excellent program for managing music files but absolutely not for the biographies of the artists of the songs. Proof of this is that when you edit a bio and forget to save it, there is no warning to remind you to save it.

frankz

I didn't find it!!!
In any case, I didn't say to eliminate the service but to make it manual, perhaps with a button or a pop-up menu with the right mouse button.
You actually did say "Wouldn't it be more convenient to eliminate all the automation?" and "My request: can't all the automatic systems be removed?". It sounds like you've already discovered the manual method both of bios and images, so you know it's already been made manual to some extent.  

If your request had been simply to make manual management more robust, I wouldn't have objected.  When you start talking about removing automation for everyone because iTunes misspelled an artist's name, then yes I do have a problem with that.

If you want to disable these, you don't put the images in your layouts or look at the biographies or discographies if they're not useful to you.  Disabled.  I don't think I've ever looked at an artist biography on purpose in MB in the years I've been using it, so it's essentially disabled for me.  I do have artist images in my layout.  They are sometimes (horror) incorrect.  If I notice it, I block the image from being displayed again.  Sometimes the incorrect image is amusing to me so I leave it and get a chuckle whenever it comes up. Nothing in this world is perfect, and these automations are useful about 99 times for every time they are not.

If space is an issue, you can even get fancy and write a batch file to clear the bio and image folders and run it in Task Scheduler periodically.
Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 01:13:07 PM by frankz

Steven

• Administrator
Proof of this is that when you edit a bio and forget to save it, there is no warning to remind you to save it.
In v3.6, MB will now prompt for the artist bio to be saved when a new artist starts playing or MB is exited without saving

Fox63

I didn't find it!!!
You actually did say "Wouldn't it be more convenient to eliminate all the automation?" and "My request: can't all the automatic systems be removed?". It sounds like you've already discovered the manual method both of bios and images, so you know it's already been made manual to some extent. 

If your request had been simply to make manual management more robust, I wouldn't have objected.  When you start talking about removing automation for everyone because iTunes misspelled an artist's name, then yes I do have a problem with that.

If you want to disable these, you don't put the images in your layouts or look at the biographies or discographies if they're not useful to you.  Disabled.  I don't think I've ever looked at an artist biography on purpose in MB in the years I've been using it, so it's essentially disabled for me.  I do have artist images in my layout.  They are sometimes (horror) incorrect.  If I notice it, I block the image from being displayed again.  Sometimes the incorrect image is amusing to me so I leave it and get a chuckle whenever it comes up. Nothing in this world is perfect, and these automations are useful about 99 times for every time they are not.

If space is an issue, you can even get fancy and write a batch file to clear the bio and image folders and run it in Task Scheduler periodically.

I hope your answer was mistranslated by the translator.
Are you telling me not to use a service in the program because you know it doesn't work?
However, I did not peremptorily ask to eliminate the service but only the automation.
And I also wrote: And maybe insert a button, a menu that by clicking on it manually downloads the biography, as happens with covers. So I didn't say to remove it completely.
Maybe the translation of what I write is not correct?
Let's see if it goes better. We remove the automations and make them manual, so that if you don't like an image you can leave it blank. "Artist image not present"
You write to me: The user can quite easily turn off features they don't want and/or ignore retrieved data that doesn't meet their needs. There's no reason to remove these features making them available to no one.
Then you write to me: I don't think I've ever looked at an artist biography on purpose in MB in the years I've been using it, so it's essentially disabled for me.
So you've never used the artist biography and images?
Don't you know that the artist's image cannot be empty?
You can block the image you don't like but it is replaced by another that may be worse. You can do this 5 times the last one is whatever remains.
If there is this opportunity, why not make the most of it?
At this point I understand why no one uses the image and biographical part of the artist.

Greetings

frankz

Are you telling me not to use a service in the program because you know it doesn't work?
I didn't say it doesn't work.  I said that if you are so sensitive that a relatively tiny failure rate in what the automation provides is such a trauma for you, you are free to paste in your own images and biographies in place of those that are automatically retrieved. Or not to use them.

As for the rest, you are free to continue to defend your function removal request if you like.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone register a wish to remove a useful function before, but you do you.  I've said my piece.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Proof of this is that when you edit a bio and forget to save it, there is no warning to remind you to save it.
In v3.6, MB will now prompt for the artist bio to be saved when a new artist starts playing or MB is exited without saving

If this is new default behavior, I would defer to @frankz's post below

I didn't say it doesn't work.  I said that if you are so sensitive that a relatively tiny failure rate in what the automation provides is such a trauma for you, you are free to paste in your own images and biographies in place of those that are automatically retrieved. Or not to use them.

It's my understanding biographies can be edited, so anyone who wishes to finetune them should resort to that rather than a more intrusive method as I understand the new default to be.