Author Topic: We want more! ;-) (custom tags)  (Read 3876 times)

hiccup

Bumping this request to:

- have the amount of available custom tags increased to e.g. 20 or 24

- have these tags available by default without the need to create (sacrifice) custom tags for them:

Album Artists
Initial key
Involved people list
Set subtitle
Subtitle

The Incredible Boom Boom

Album Artists
Initial key
Involved people list
Set subtitle
Subtitle

I wouldn't mind an increase in tags, but this especially would be nice + a tag for MusicBrainz identifiers.

hiccup

I wouldn't mind an increase in tags, but this especially would be nice + a tag for MusicBrainz identifiers.
There indeed have been quite a few requests for that too.
the concerning MusicBrainz ID tags

Just curious, are you aware of this little trick that allows you to use only one custom tag to store all MusicBrainz ID tags and retrieve information from it?

I've been using it to satisfaction for a long time now, and I don't have a reason for having these ID tags stored separately instead?
Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 04:55:48 PM by hiccup

Dizza17

+10 on this bump.

Making the tags you have mentioned native would be my first preference. Having the Musicbrainz identifiers would be great but there is quite a few of them which would be laborious I would imagine.
Thanks Steven!

Dizza17

@steven,

Is there any chance of these getting added for version 3.6? Thanks for your time.
Regards Dizza

DanielN

+1

I'm hitting the 16 custom tag limit too and I'd love for more tag or more default tags as Hiccup mentionned

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Not to be that guy (...as I become exactly that guy),
but can those supporting this wish also post their current list of custom tags as hiccup has done above.

Thanks for requesting that earlier Boom Boom as this helps in weighing whether or not some of the custom tags setup don't already have native support elsewhere in The Bee.
Which brings me to these five from hiccup's list:

Artists [credited]       -       isn't <artist> or more specifically, <artists: artist> already a multivalue tag designed for this purpose?
Featured artist(s)      -       isn't <artists: guest> already available for this?
DJ/Re-mixer               -       isn't <artists: remixer> already available for this?
Composers                 -       isn't <composer> already a multivalue tag designed for this purpose?
composerssort          -       this wouldn't be required if <composers> was "correctly" used under <composer> as there's already a built-in <sortComposer>

hiccup has already voiced his stance on some of these tags.
So the above is just for other users' food for thought and commenting, which hopefully won't turn out to be a cause for derailment of this thread.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

DanielN

Sure thing. Some custom tags are mainly used to expose MB tags in the editor (Maybe there is just a better way to handle this)

Media Type  CD, 7" Vinyl, etc..  straight from Musicbrainz
Record Date Date of recording (especially useful for lives)
Release Type ep, single, album, etc.. straight from Musicbrainz
Key Initial Key
Country Release country  straight from Musicbrainz
Catalog #  straight from Musicbrainz
Musical Objects Notable musical instrument or feature (yes the naming sux)
Recording Type demo, live, cover, etc...
Involved People Involved People List from Musicbrainz
Set Subtitle from Musicbrainz
Band Origin Country, region and city of Origin of the band or the artist
Status Release status from MB
Recording Location mostly useful for lives
Credit Artists Artists from MB, very useful for when sort artist doesn't cut it. EDIT: that's similar to what Hiccup does, i've likely stolen that idea from him at some point
Cover info Used for covers, contains Artist, album and release date of the original version
Composition date Used for classical music mostly

And yes, I know I have issues  ;D
Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:31:59 PM by DanielN

hiccup

…but can those supporting this wish also post their current list of custom tags as hiccup has done above.
Before we discuss this matter further and give our opinions on it, it might be good if Steven could voice if he is even considering extending the amount of custom tags.
If not, voicing new opinions or suggestions on this will be a bit of a waste of time.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Came across these the other day when searching up on this.
Was hesitant on bringing them to light, but perhaps now's a good time as any.

see the latest v2.1 update from the weekly updates topic. There are now 16 custom tags (no more will be added though)

i wont add more custom tags (recent v3.1 changes should have freed up several tags anyway)

For the next update there are 32 virtual tags
I dont plan to change the custom tag count

This reply of mine is without malice and obviously does not serve as a conclusion of any sort.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

hiccup

Came across these the other day when searching up on this.
Yeah, but those quotes are up till eleven years old.
Let's not put too much of a magnifying glass on what people did, said or wrote in the distant past?

And, the limit of virtual tags has been reconsidered after that, so I see no reason why the limit of custom tags could not be reconsidered also.
Especially since there are many +1 responses that support this request.

If Steven says 'no' again we can forget about it and shut-up. (for now)
If he says 'yes' or 'maybe' it could be useful to have some sort of poll or further discussions on what custom tags would be sensible to be added.

Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:50:37 PM by hiccup

Dizza17

Hi guys,
Just my two cents but while Steven has stated multiple times that he won’t be adding any additional custom tags, i see this request  as more aimed towards making certain tags native to Musicbee ie “Involved People List” etc. If this and a few other more common tags is added then I would expect the majority of people will have a few custom tags freed up for any of the more obscure ones they might be using. I for one am in this group of users.
Cheers Aaron

hiccup

…, i see this request  as more aimed towards making certain tags native to Musicbee ie “Involved People List” etc.
Yes, you are largely correct.
But in my request (start post) I say "and/or". So either more custom tags or more 'known' tags would be good as far as I am concerned.