Author Topic: We want more! ;-) (custom tags)  (Read 3881 times)

hiccup

While having 16 custom tags available is something I believe no other music manager than MusicBee has, it still has been a restrictive limit for me for quite a long time.
One of the solutions I resorted to is having two different MusicBee (portable) installs for my classical music and my non-classical music.
I just couldn't get optimal results for both using a single MusicBee install. The most important reason being the limitation of custom and virtual tags.

But, the limitation of virtual tags will soon be completely solved, since 3.6 will have 50 of them available, which is fantastic.
But the remaining limitation of having (needing) 16 custom tags is still a problem for me.

So my request would be to increase the amount of custom tags to e.g. 20, or 24.
Which would completely solve my problems regarding this.

And/Or:

There are a couple of tags that I believe have proven their worth over time to be available by default, and shouldn't require to be made available only when linking them to a custom tag.

Tags such as:

Subtitle
Set subtitle
Involved people list
Initial key

in my opinion should be available by default without the need to set up (and sacrificing) a custom tag.

Personally, if only one of the two above suggestions gets rewarded, my 'problems' are resolved completely and I will be grateful.
But for the greater good, maybe both can be adapted/implemented?
Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:22:31 AM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
+1 to more custom tags. Actually +4 or 8 would be better.

Oh, how I remember back in the day when Steven increased them from eight to sixteen. It's never enough.   :)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Oh, how I remember back in the day when Steven increased them from eight to sixteen. It's never enough.   :)
You have a good memory!
The oldest version I have available is 2.3 from some 10 years ago, and that one also already had 16 of them.
This hasn't really followed Moore's law ;-)

phred

• Global Moderator
You have a good memory!
Maybe. Maybe not.
Remember - I started with v0.3 but I'm fairly certain there were no custom tags at that time. I sure don't know when they were introduced. And I'm not going to start installing portables to find out.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Remember - I started with v0.3 but I'm fairly certain there were no custom tags at that time. I sure don't know when they were introduced. And I'm not going to start installing portables to find out.
Could you pm me a d/l link to 0.3 portable?
I'm very curious about its first look and functionality.

edit
doesn't have to be portable (I think those came much later), I can run an installer version on a testing system

vzell

+2

Also the Musicbrainz identifiers would be a good addition to have for free without the need for custum/virtual tags

hiccup

+2

Also the Musicbrainz identifiers would be a good addition to have for free without the need for custum/virtual tags
Indeed. But in my case that would only free up a single custom tag, since I am using this system for storing MusicBrainz IDs.

B.t.w. I added a table for your wish in this wishlist topic that may be helpful in case Steven would be willing to do this.

phred

• Global Moderator
Could you pm me a d/l link to 0.3 portable?
I'm very curious about its first look and functionality.
Will do. No, it's not portable.
While you wait...

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

While you wait...
Nice. It looks like most of the bee's skeleton was already in place at the first attempt.

Mr. Trev

There are a couple of tags that I believe have proven their worth over time to be available by default, and shouldn't require to be made available only when linking them to a custom tag.

Tags such as:

Subtitle
Set subtitle
Involved people list
Initial key

in my opinion should be available by default without the need to set up (and sacrificing) a custom tag.

+1 on making these tags default. Personally, I'm not sure how many more additional custom tags I'd actually use, but if the suggested tags were made default, it would free up at least 3 customs for me (subtitle, media type, initial key - in case anybody is wondering)

The Incredible Boom Boom

Tags such as:

Subtitle
Set subtitle
Involved people list
Initial key

+1 on making these tags default. Personally, I'm not sure how many more additional custom tags I'd actually use, but if the suggested tags were made default, it would free up at least 3 customs for me (subtitle, media type, initial key - in case anybody is wondering)

+1

I'm separately curious about your Custom Tag list, @hiccup.
I have managed to fit literally everything I need from MB in one instance and still have four CTs to spare.
Do you have an existing thread where you could provide a list of the CTs you use in both your instances?

I'm also curious because I am salivating for new ideas to add to my layouts and Views. Lol

hiccup

+1
I'm separately curious about your Custom Tag list, @hiccup.
I have managed to fit literally everything I need from MB in one instance and still have four CTs to spare.
Do you have an existing thread where you could provide a list of the CTs you use in both your instances?

I'm also curious because I am salivating for new ideas to add to my layouts and Views. Lol

This is what I currently have (combined between my two non-classical and classical installs of MusicBee)

Album artists
Artists [credited]
Audio details
Composers
Composers firstnames
Country
DJ/Re-mixer
Energy/Dynamics
Ensemble/Orchestra
Featured artist(s)
Involved people
Main instrument
MusicBrainz IDs
Picard title full
Rating alb. tr.
Recording comment
Release info
Release type
Set subtitle
Valence
Voicing
Year (c)
Year (f)
composerssort

So that's 24 of them.
Perhaps I will revise it a bit soon, since I found some other things that Picard can provide that I may need to make some adjustments for.
But I'm not sure if it will take a couple more custom tags, or that I can combine some into one, and then use virtual tags to extract the needed information.
Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:44:34 PM by hiccup

Dizza17

Giving this a little bump. I know it’s still a relatively new request but a very important one in my opinion. This would be a fantastic addition for the official 3.6 release.

Thanks again for your continued dedication Steven.

Regards
Dizza