Author Topic: MusicBee freezing occassionaly during Tag saving and /or deleting tracks  (Read 1253 times)

DesH

I have been using MB for some 7 or 8 years.
I have recently upgraded my PC from an old 32 bit to new 64 bit system,
Installed a fresh latest version MBee install,
Copied a few plugins from old to new plugin directory
And then re-scanned my database (which is on the same spare drive and Drive Letter as before.)
I then copied my old Playlist directory (only the playlists) over to the new Library.
All appeared well.

I am now experiencing program freezing at random, but fairly regular occasions when clicking"Save"  of Edited tags, and sometimes during Deleting of some selected tracks.
I did the process all over a 2nd time and getting the same results.

Has anyone any ideas for a fix that I might look at please?
Thanks so much

phred

• Global Moderator
What's the path to where the music files are stored?
You can try whitelisting in your security software the entire directory in which MB is installed.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

DesH

Thanks for you reply. Tried whitelisting the Program directory from Virus checks. Problem still there. Happens randomly. I can edit a number of tags  or delete individual tracks, some will respond correctly, and after a several such activities, it will freeze up on the click of a "Save" after a tag edit, or "Delete" key. It doesn't come out of the freeze. I have to close MB in Task Manager.

Path to music files is Y:\Music

phred

• Global Moderator
Is Y:\Music a portable drive connected to your PC via USB?
Does the problem happen when you first start editing tags, or after you've been working a while?
I'm thinking that the drive might be asleep and has to "wake up" before the data can be saved/changed.

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas. But someone else may have a thought or two.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

DesH

Y:\Music is a fixed 2nd Hard drive connected  to motherboard via Sata cables.
The problem normally happens after several edits or deletions. Yesterday I loaded about 15 new albums and then started deleting the tracks I didn't like. After several edits it freezes randomly, sometimes on a single track tag edit or sometimes on a multiple tag edit "Save". Also happens randomly on deletion of tracks, single or multiple.
I don't think it's a sleep issue though.

Roby

Did you check the log file?
Help >Support >View Error Log
Probably in the transition between 32 and 64 bits something went wrong. Maybe some drivers.
Also try the portable version of MB.
Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 09:29:57 AM by Roby

DesH

Roby

You can check the log whenever you want: it records all errors that have happened in the past since you installed MB.

DesH

This is odd. I checked the logs and these are the responses I get when I restart MB after it has frozen.. It's curious because in most cases it is actually playing a track while I tried to delete the tracks, so how is it that it states it can't find the file?
Yet it will delete a number of other tracks individually with no problem. This only occurs after every 5 or 6th delete action.

Y:\Music\METAL\Winterstorm\Winterstorm-Everfrost (2023)\Winterstorm-08 - Fate of the Atlanteans.mp3
22/09/2023 10:51:23 - File not deleted: Y:\Music\METAL\Winterstorm\Winterstorm-Everfrost (2023)\Winterstorm-09 - Crusade.mp3
The system cannot find the file specified.
Y:\Music\METAL\Winterstorm\Winterstorm-Everfrost (2023)\Winterstorm-09 - Crusade.mp3
22/09/2023 10:51:23 - File not deleted: Y:\Music\METAL\Winterstorm\Winterstorm-Everfrost (2023)\Winterstorm-10 - Overcome the Fear.mp3
The system cannot find the file specified.
Y:\Music\METAL\Winterstorm\Winterstorm-Everfrost (2023)\Winterstorm-10 - Overcome the Fear.mp3

Roby

Make sure your HD has no problems, you can use the portable (Zip) version of CrystalDiskInfo found here:
https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

hiccup

Apart from severe disk corruption or motherboard failure, the two most likely causes for this are security software doing things it shouldn't and other audio-related software having some grip on the files.
Perhaps try installing MusicBee portable in a location outside the reach of those.

Did you perform a software update on your old PC to a 64 bit version of Windows, or did you wipe it clean and installed a completely fresh W10/11 64bit, or is this happening on a brand new computer?
Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 07:00:15 PM by hiccup

DesH

Thank you both for those helpful suggestions. It is a brand new pc and the Windows 11 64-bit is installed on a brand new C: Drive SSD disk. The MBee was also a new up to date download. That's why its so curious. I've been using the program for a number of years now and never experienced this. So the problem has to stem from the new installation setup somehow. I will check my Z: Drive disc condition and those other suggestions. Thanks so much

Dizza17

I have found a few certain tasks can cause MB to “freeze” for a while before it springs back to life, but I put it down to normal behaviour due to the particular task it’s performing ie removal of  tags from a large number of files, the search and replace function across a large number of file and when trying to select a large number of files in the artwork manager panel.

Not sure if this is relevant to your question but thought I’d share.