Author Topic: why does copy file to organized folder always overwrite files?  (Read 781 times)

gaiastar

Hi
why does copy file to organized folder always overwrite  files even "allow exiting files to be replaced " is disabled?

I have just  used opy file to organized folder tree times and musicbee does overwrite files , i have found out with process explorer and system informer "process hacker"

I have used this patter
Code
 \<Artist>\<Year>\<Album>\<Folder Name>\<Filename>
and send a playlist to copy file to organized folder

I have asked before but now the problem is that in past i does not overwrite but skipped the files

Could somebody test it and report ? Could be a bug maybe ? Or could be a bug in the name template
thanks

MusicBee is the best audio player ever made, Love it ♫♫

tjinc

I cannot replicate your reported issue.

Using the 'copy to organised folder' function it does not overwrite existing files but creates a duplicate file and appends '_1', '_2' etc to the filenames.
To be honest, from your screenshot, this looks like what is happening with you as well - am I not understanding your issue correctly?

gaiastar

I cannot replicate your reported issue.

Using the 'copy to organised folder' function it does not overwrite existing files but creates a duplicate file and appends '_1', '_2' etc to the filenames.
To be honest, from your screenshot, this looks like what is happening with you as well - am I not understanding your issue correctly?
hi
I have updated the playlist , i would like just to copy only the new files
thanks

phred

• Global Moderator
Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue.

It's not overwriting the files, it's creating -new- ones.
When you disable "allow existing files to be replaced" MB will copy the existing filename and add an underscore (_) and a number after the filename.
Every file in your screenshot has this. So these files already exist, but you told MB not to replace them so it's creating new ones. The "new filename" column is showing you that.
Filename_2.mp3 means you already had -two- of that track.
Filename_3.mp3 means you already had -three- of that track.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

tjinc

Ah, ok - I understand.
I don't think that you can do this using this method as it will always copy all the selected files (in this case the whole playlist). If you check the 'allow existing files to be replaced' option it will overwrite existing files and will write any new ones. If you uncheck that option it will create duplicates of any existing files.
Note:
- It will not delete any files that have been removed from the playlist.
- There is no way to 'skip' existing files with this method.

If, for some reason, you aren't happy overwriting existing files then you could look at using the device sync functions which may be more suited for this (you can configure a folder as a virtual device in Preferences>Devices - Add Virtual Device)

gaiastar

Ah, ok - I understand.
I don't think that you can do this using this method as it will always copy all the selected files (in this case the whole playlist). If you check the 'allow existing files to be replaced' option it will overwrite existing files and will write any new ones. If you uncheck that option it will create duplicates of any existing files.
Note:
- It will not delete any files that have been removed from the playlist.
- There is no way to 'skip' existing files with this method.

If, for some reason, you aren't happy overwriting existing files then you could look at using the device sync functions which may be more suited for this (you can configure a folder as a virtual device in Preferences>Devices - Add Virtual Device)
hi Tjinc
well maybe it could be added this feature , just updated files
I will try about Preferences>Devices - Add Virtual Device
about sync -> Preferences>Devices - Add Virtual Device , is there a way to copy all the files *.jpg seeing they are album arts
all the lyrics are embeded in the tag
or export the playlist and load in file manager
thanks Tjinc , appreciate your help
Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:05:25 AM by gaiastar

tjinc

well maybe it could be added this feature , just updated files
Yes, but you would have to post this on the wishlist board.

is there a way to copy all the files *.jpg seeing they are album arts
No, with this method, only the primary image can be copied as a .jpg file

all the lyrics are embeded in the tag
This option is for the new file so, if you want the lyrics to remain embedded you should set this option to 'always embed the lyrics in the music file'

or export the playlist and load in file manager
Not sure if this is a question. If so I do not understand.
Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 06:54:21 PM by tjinc