Author Topic: Sharing files between MusicBee and iTunes  (Read 538 times)

klh

Hi all:

I've made a lot of progress with iTunes over the last month, it's such a pleasure to have some control over my library that iTunes doesn't offer. Between MB and MP3Tag I've got my files pretty much tagged just the way I want.

But as everyone knows, I can't sync my iPhone with MB so I've installed iTunes for windows. First off, the reviews of iTunes for windows are so terrible on the MS store I was a little nervous but I've found it works just fine. The only issue is that no matter what I do iTunes defaults to my defined music location, I cannot move the itunes library to another drive but I can deal with that.

I followed the wiki and exported my itunes xml no issue, and iTunes imported everything as expected.

So my question is, I've invested a lot of time in tagging and I don't want iTunes stepping on my tags. I know to avoid having iTunes auto-download artwork (I'm not even logging in to apple and I recall auto-artwork downloads won't work if you're not authenticated).

Is there anything else to be aware of where iTunes will modify my files outside of playcount? I'm tempted to create a totally separate library with just the files I want to sync with my iPhone to be certain that iTunes doesn't step on my files, but if other users have had good luck with sharing the files from a tagging perspective, I'll just keep them together.

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you checked any of the itunes/iphone forums? Especially since MB has no control over the itunes/iphone functions you're asking about.

And since you're concerned about things that may happen with your files on itunes, I suggest backing up all your files.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

klh

Was just curious if any MB folks sharing libraries with iTunes had experience with exactly what iTunes steps on RE tags. As to why I posted here: I care about MB, I don't care about iTunes, it's an ends to a means.

And for kicks...

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/463638/itunes-changes-to-music-library-tags
Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 06:06:46 PM by klh