Author Topic: using the 'tags="…" attribute for 'Gallery' to improve on artist images results?  (Read 221 times)

hiccup

When using the 'Gallery' element, the retrieved images of artists are usually correct,  but also often very wrong.

I noticed there is the option to add a tags="..."attribute to the gallery element.
I'm going to experiment a bit with that to see if I can improve on getting the appropriate artist images retrieved, but I was wondering if other users already have some tags= conditions that work well, that they could share?
Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 10:40:52 AM by hiccup

hiccup

artist
albumArtist
composer
genre
mood
occasion
I don't understand, wouldn't something like this make more sense?:
tags="artist,band,group,singer"
It is not restricted to only these 6 existing tags, is it?

Or what might even work better, can it make use of a custom tag?
So e.g. for the band 'Soup', you would have some 'artist refine' tag populated with 'band', and for 'Seal' 'singer'?

Or if you would have two bands with the same name, but one is from the USA and the other from Australia, have those countries in this 'artist refine' tag. (eg: band, australia)

or even more...
Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 11:41:50 AM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
It doesnt currently work how you want and searches only for images tagged with the current mood for example.
But why are you using Gallery instead "ArtistPicture" ?

hiccup

But why are you using Gallery instead "ArtistPicture" ?

Because I like the image rotation that Gallery can do.
And I looked at the Artist Pictures TM that is included with MusicBee, and that one also uses 'Gallery' for its artist pictures.

Here's what I still don't understand:

In Mayibongwes fantastic Theater Modes topic, it reads:

type="Gallery"  tags="landscape,blue,animals" means that
    MusicBee will retrieve web images where any of the tags match

That suggests that you can enter any keyword that you like.

But you are naming only:

artist
    albumArtist
    composer
    genre
    mood
    occasion

as valid options.

But those are tags, right? And not keywords?

So is what's in the aforementioned topic incorrect, and can you only use one of the six tags that you mention?
And there is no way to tweak or refine the searches by using keywords or additional search terms?

edit:
And for my understanding:
Am I correct to think that <element type="Gallery" uses Bing to find images, and that <element type="ArtistPicture" searches some specific websites that are dedicated to artist photos and/or fan-art?
(if so, can you say which one(s)?)
Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 04:24:46 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
On closer inspection, when "tags=artist" is used, the plugin doesnt use flickr like other gallery tags, and will use the same mechanism to retrieve artist pictures as MB itself (from fanart and bing, where bing already includes band and other refining tags in the search based on musicbrainz data)
Unfortunately since we lost last.fm artist pictures the bing results can be a bit rubbish