Author Topic: The worst forum ever  (Read 4322 times)

Xen

There are many forums and some of course are better than others, as is natural. But this forum is without doubt the very worst forum I've ever known, and I've known plenty. No one seems to know much and when they do they don't want to tell you what they know. Instead you're told to search the forum for stuff that's already there - or so it's said - but not told WHERE it is. Apparently we must spend hours looking for answers in order to save the moderators the seconds it would take to give some kind of direction.

I've never known anything quite like it.

I recall John Cleese once talking about his comedy series "Fawlty Towers" and saying that the foundation of that comedy was that Basil Fawlty was in the wrong job. I can't help but think this forum's moderators might reflect on this and perhaps find something more in line with their capacities - traffic warden for instance.

You're rubbish.

hiccup

You're rubbish.
You are plain lazy, and you have no clue about the fact that nobody here has what you call 'a job' at MusicBee.
Everybody here is contributing voluntarily in his/her own free time. The (sole) creator and developer of MusicBee included.

And, shame on you for quoting someone like John Cleese.
A lazy non-productive user like you should not be pretend to have any of his qualities of character or observation.

And since you have now called each and every contributing forum member 'rubbish', I will assume you will now move on elsewhere and not ask for help here again.
Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 04:59:24 PM by hiccup

Xen

You tell me to go looking in the forum because you feel unable to expend the energy to give some help, and then call me "lazy" and (I can't believe you actually said this) "non-productive". Non-productive?? I came here looking for help with a problem I couldn't solve on my own and got nothing except "go find it yourself" when all it would have taken is "go look here" instead.

You're a volunteer? Really? What exactly did you "volunteer" for? Sitting back and doing nothing? Looks like it from here.

And no, of course I won't come here looking for help again. Why would I when you're all so manifestly reluctant to give any.

P.S. I didn't call "each and every contributing forum member 'rubbish'" much as you'd like to pretend I did. My criticism was aimed squarely at the so-called "moderators", so let's be clear on that. Don't lie, it's bad for you.

P.P.S. I can't get over that "non-productive" thing.  :-X

hiccup

P.S. I didn't call "each and every contributing forum member 'rubbish'" much as you'd like to pretend I did. My criticism was aimed squarely at the so-called "moderators", so let's be clear on that. Don't lie, it's bad for you.

P.P.S. I can't get over that "non-productive" thing.

You did implicitly call all forum members rubbish.
You were addressing everybody that did not immediately came to your help and hold your hand to provide you with a personalised answer on something that other users are able to figure out reading what is already in the forum board you were referred to.
Also you clearly don't understand what a moderator is supposed to do. Answering questions by other users is not his 'task'.

Sorry, I must have missed where you have been productive on this forum then.
Please share a link to where you were productive on this forum?
Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 05:24:23 PM by hiccup

hiccup

You're a volunteer? Really? What exactly did you "volunteer" for? Sitting back and doing nothing? Looks like it from here.
Look again
Oh wait, you're probably to lazy for that.

Xen

I did not "implicitly" or otherwise call everyone "rubbish", but having found a stick to beat me over the head with God knows you'll keep on insisting otherwise.

How do you know that other members have already figured out this problem? It's certainly not in the most recent posts that I read. You're adding to your ever-growing list of sins by fantasising whatever you find convenient. An excuse for your own laziness. And I love that "why should we hold your hand" line. The whole point of a moderator is to provide HELP. That you refer to it as holding someone's hand serves to show how unsuited you are to this job.

The reference to being unproductive" is yet another example of your sophistry. As a novice on the forum I'm hardly likely to have produced very much, and yet it's still more than your own "go find it yourself" routine.

I know the problem of course. MusicBee, in an effort to reduce costs, uses "volunteers": people - I won't use the more common term - in fact, who have some technical knowledge but basically hate people and want nothing to do with them. And by God you make that plain.

I leave you with the last word. You certainly must have it and I'm done with you.

Go get that traffic warden job - you can be nasty to people all day long.

phred

• Global Moderator
Speaking as the sole moderator on this forum (aside from Steven who is the sole developer) I feel obligated to reply despite my desire not to.

The first order of business when looking for help on a forum is to SEARCH THE FORUM. Which clearly you did not do. Nor want to do. You want immediate answers without doing any of the heavy lifting. Which actually makes -you- the lazy one.

Yes, of course I can do the search for you. And post the links or replies, but why should I do it when you haven't even made the effort to.
But someone already did that for you today in two of the threads you didn't bother to search for. And posted a link to the search results.

Good luck with your membership on other forums.

End of discussion
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MotleyG

I thought with the amount of keyboard pounding you are doing, it would have been easier to type just a couple of keywords into the search box. Apparently I was wrong. I have updated the link in my posts to provide a specific search for you. There are plenty of tips there just waiting for you.

The point of a forum is to have support for users like yourself with questions. Often those questions have  been asked and answered many times in the past. So etiquette is to first search for a similar issue, and then post a follow-up question if either nothing like it has ever been asked before (doubt it) or your current issue still cannot be resolved using the suggestions from the earlier threads.

I have no affiliation with MusicBee, other than the privilege of using it and providing feedback and support here for others that share in the experience.

hiccup

In the old days there was a board for rants like these ;-) :

The Incredible Boom Boom

The unhinged reactions of people who realize they are too stupid to understand how to use MusicBee are always quite interesting.

hiccup

The unhinged reactions of people who realize they are too stupid to understand how to use MusicBee are always quite interesting.
Well, it at least shows that some are not smart enough to use Google or understand how a forum works ;-)

What I find interesting about this (luckily rare) kind of behaviour is that it shows that once in a while there is somebody who looks at the forum and then assumes it was setup professionally (or should I say commercially), and that the support here is performed by professionals who are paid, and are obliged to be on call 24/7 for anyone.  "We are here to serve you"

They probably have gotten that impression because pretty much all users that are asking questions and behave decently, and have shown that they have at least done some research on their own do get helpful replies pretty fast.

So I think such behaviour could also be taken as a big compliment to the forum.

phred

• Global Moderator
So I think such behaviour could also be taken as a big compliment to the forum.
I have stated many times in the past that the MB Forum is the most civil and helpful forum I have ever been a member of. And it's only the infrequent nutjobs that detract from it. But the appearance of nutjobs seem to be cyclical. I recall someone here mentioning that it typically coincides with a new or updated review of MB. And that brings the curious out of the woodwork. For the most part they are understanding. And then there are some that just don't get it.

As Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member." The exact opposite goes for me. I'm happy to be here.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

previously there were ~100-150 currently active forum members, last weeks (months?) there are ~300 currently active forum members. and these last weeks/months many silly posts have been published.

i think it's the downside of the mb's growing popularity.

phred

• Global Moderator
i think it's the downside of the mb's growing popularity.
That's a pretty good point, boroda. New users discover MB and fail to realize that there's no company behind it. Nor any corporate tech support. Yet they insist (actually demand) that their needs be  attended too immediately and take offense when it doesn't happen.

I wonder if AvikB can set up an "eject"  button. An forum version of James Bond's ejection seat in his Aston Martin.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki