Author Topic: Moving a large Music Folder  (Read 463 times)

Vonsworld

Hello

I would like to move a large Music Folder on my PC from D:\Music to C:\Music. Once the folder is moved it would probably take Musicbee quite some time to rescan the music in its new location.

Therefore when Musicbee is not running, is it possible to manually edit the library and change any reference to D:\Music to C:\Music, so the next time we run Musicbee no rescan is necessary?

Thanks
Robin

frankz

Best to make the change from within MusicBee so there is nothing to change, update, or rescan.  Less moving parts, less chance for error.

But yes, if you do make the move outside you can update the references using File->Library->Relink Music File Paths as long as nothing else changes with the way your files are organized.

boroda

Best to make the change from within MusicBee so there is nothing to change, update, or rescan.  Less moving parts, less chance for error.

what frankz means is using "computer" node in the left navigator panel. you can cut/paste folders using this node, and mb will update all database/playlists links to music files automatically.

Fox63

Try using file organizer.
Select all the songs you want to transfer.
Use File Organizer and in the first empty field write: C:\music and MB will do everything by itself. I used it to transfer files from one HD to another and in the end nothing changed at the library level, except the reference to the new HD (Example D:)
I hope I was clear!!!

frankz

Best to make the change from within MusicBee so there is nothing to change, update, or rescan.  Less moving parts, less chance for error.

what frankz means is using "computer" node in the left navigator panel. you can cut/paste folders using this node, and mb will update all database/playlists links to music files automatically.
Basically using any of the methods found here - testing on a small number of files (maybe one or two albums) to make sure the results are what you want before you attempt the entire library of course.