Author Topic: Tricky regex expression...?  (Read 523 times)

tangotonyb

Hoping someone can help with this.
I have a custom field in MusicBee where I enter multiple values separated by a semi-colon.
e.g. FGH; JKL; ABC

I have an expression that I use in a Virtual Tag to determine whether any values in the Custom Field have been duplicated.

$IsMatch(<MyCustomField>,"(?<=(\b\w+\b).*)\1")

The problem which I've just realised is that this expression only works for the first value, i.e it picks up
ABC; FGH; JKL; ABC

but not
ABC; FGH; JKL; JKL

Would anyone be able to help me correct this expression?

karbock

A first remark:
In this case, you must include the separator ("; "), and not just rely on "\w+" to define an element.
Otherwise, you will get a false positive with "ABC; ABCD".

The following RegEx works:
$IsMatch(<MyCustomField>,"^(.*; )?([^;]+); ([^;]+; )*\2(; [^;]+)*$")

I have tested it with different cases, but I may have forgotten a particular configuration. Let me know if you come across a false positive/negative.

Explanation of the RegEx parts:
Nr.
RegEx part
Alternative RegEx part
Meaning
Condition
1^beginning of field
2([^;]+; )*(.*; )?any number of elementsThe substring, if present, must end with a semicolon.
3([^;]+); a specific elementFollowed by semicolon + space. The separator (; ) is not included in the capturing group.
4([^;]+; )*(.*; )?any number of elementsThe substring, if present, must end with a semicolon.
5\2repeated specific element
6(; [^;]+)*(; .*)?any number of elementsThe substring, if present, must start with a semicolon.
7$end of field
Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:04:22 PM by karbock

tangotonyb

Thankyou so much karbock. You're a genius! I must confess, I doubted if it was even possible.

Tested and seems to work perfectly - that was the easy bit! It'll take me quite a bit longer to figure out HOW it works!

karbock

Thankyou so much karbock. You're a genius! I must confess, I doubted if it was even possible.
You're very welcome! As for me: I'm not a genius, but simply used to analysing. :)

Tested and seems to work perfectly - that was the easy bit! It'll take me quite a bit longer to figure out HOW it works!
Maybe the updated presentation above will give better insight into the different RegEx parts.

hiccup

Maybe the updated presentation above will give better insight into the different RegEx parts.
Same as the OP I also thought this could not be done.
But it looks like you indeed nailed it.

In trying to understand this very clever solution of yours I fail miserably.
I have had the notion that regexes query a string one step (character) at a time.
But it can also look what follows immediately, or what preceded immediately. (adjacent is the word I think)

But your solution seems to be able to look both ahead and behind, irrespective if something is adjacent or not.

What's the magic there?

karbock

What's the magic there?
Hi, guy! ;)
In the comments below, the numbers refer to the table rows in post #2 and spaces are replaced by "_" for legibility purposes.
A keyword is a non-null sequence of characters different from ";", thus a keyword = "[^;]+".

3. "([^;]+);_"
Between round brackets: the keyword that will be repeated, followed by ";_".
5. "\2"
The repeated keyword (captured group nr. 2).

1. + 2.
The keyword to look for is possibly preceded by 0, 1 or more other keywords with semi-colons in between, thus 2 possible variants: "([^;]+;_)*" or "(.*;_)?".

6. + 7.
The 2nd occurrence of the keyword is possibly followed by 0, 1 or more other keywords with semi-colons in between, thus 2 possible variants: "(;_[^;]+)*" or "(;_.*)?". Note that the semi-colon starts the RegEx part this time.

Between the keyword and its repetition, you can have 0, 1 or more other keywords, with semi-colons in between.

I made the RegEx as general as possible, so as to normally cover all the cases.
Moreover, it is important to use the semi-colon at each transition: between 2 and 3, 3 and 4, etc. By doing so, you know that no RegEx part matches a substring of a keyword.

I could have used non-capturing groups in 2., 4. and 6 but it would have been even more illegible.
Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:02:55 PM by karbock