Author Topic: Re-request: Pitch control in main view.  (Read 3976 times)

mrbenn

I know this has been requested before, including by myself but I have an actual use case other than just for fun.

I have a portable sampler that has a limit of 4 seconds per sample. A trick way back when was to play a record at 45 (or faster) rather than 33 and then slow it back down in the sampler, thus compressing time and adding some grit to the sample in the process.

As much fun as sampling from actual records can be, I have a much larger library on the computer to plunder.

Could there, please, be a slider or a way to adjust a songs playback from the main view rather than having to menu dive some to get to the DSP setting that can already do this.

Just the sample rate slider and checkbox in a side panel would be perfect.

hiccup

I have read your request twice, but I fail to understand how this would be a useful addition for a music player/manager such as MusicBee.

Is this something that would improve 'listening enjoyment'? Would it be useful for producing/editing short audio fragments?
What do you mean by 'plundering music'?

Questions, questions…

mrbenn

I want to use Musicbee as the player to record audio into this: https://sonicware.jp/pages/liven-lofi12

Since I listen mostly on shuffle, something might play that I think might make for a good loop or drum pattern to use in something of my own. (see Plunderphonics, 90's Hip Hop, The Avalanches, DJ Shadow)

I'd want to then just skip to the point I liked, hit record on the box, unpause musicbee and capture etc.

Since the box has very limited sampling time, I sometimes need to speed up the track to fit it into the memory. This trick has been around since the 80's.

Musicbee does have the ability to change the pitch/speed etc in the EQ/DSP > Tempo Control > Sample Rate setting but its multiple clicks deep and needs to be toggled on or off.

What I am asking for is for this slider to be available all the time in the main view in the same way the volume control is now.

I'd argue that playing a record at the wrong speed could be an enjoyable thing to do. I certainly was amused no end as a kid playing mums Fleetwood Mac records backwards or on the wrong speed. Vaporwave as a genre is built on the idea of slowing a cheesy pop record down and putting a bunch of delay on it. (see Chuck Person - Eccojams). 90's rave sped up samples a lot to get to the desired tempo, and that became a motif of the genre. (see Acen - Close Your Eyes)

hiccup

Since the box has very limited sampling time, I sometimes need to speed up the track to fit it into the memory.
I understand better now.
I also love eccojams, but I seriously doubt that Chuck Person was using a 'consumer' music player such as MusicBee to construct it.

Perhaps your request resembles (and substantiates) other requests to have other audio effects (such as MusicBee's equaliser) available in a fixed panel.
Or VST plugins. (what would be far more complicated though)

Since it's probably not a bad idea per se, +1 from me.

edit
At the moment I am too lazy to do a search, but if there are outstanding requests to have any sort of audio effect or audio (VST) plugins available in a fixed panel or a tab, I hope I have plus-1'ed it.
Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 10:53:26 PM by hiccup

mrbenn

Even a DAW like Ableton doesnt support VST-in-panel. The VST window is always detached from the main app, and it has its own way of presenting controls there and passing them on to the plugin.

hiccup

Even a DAW like Ableton doesnt support VST-in-panel.
I am guessing MusicBee would be able to do it by using tabs.

boroda

i think supporting dsp effect settings windows (not mb general eq & dsp window, though this may be useful too) as floating non-modal (non-blocking as it is now) windows would suffice.

+1.

Steven

• Administrator
for v3.6 Pitch/ Tempo and Sample Rate controls can be docked to a sidebar

LayerConclusion22

for v3.6 Pitch/ Tempo and Sample Rate controls can be docked to a sidebar

is this available in the latest 3.6 patch from september 17th? If so how do you dock those controls to a sidebar?

phred

• Global Moderator
is this available in the latest 3.6 patch from september 17th? If so how do you dock those controls to a sidebar?
If Steven is announcing it today, it is not in the earlier, and so far only, 3.6 patch. Please understand that 3.6 is an early alpha release for early adopters and Steven is not providing any support for it at this time.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
i will make it available this weekend

also its now a non-modal window so can stay open while you use musicbee for other things
Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 11:49:22 AM by Steven

aktor

aktor

There is a bug. Pitch control and tempo control option produce the same window and sample rate does tempo control, I think.

mrbenn

Thank you for adding this.

Is it possible to alter which parameter the slider affects?

In my case I would want to adjust the playback sample rate, emulating a turntable pitch control.

The new slider as-is only affects the tempo and maintains the original pitch.

Thank you again