Author Topic: changing color of activated last.fm in dark fine tuned skins  (Read 396 times)

Gluck

Is there a way to change the color of activated last.fm scrobbling icon in dark fine tuned skins?
It looks like by default the button does not change its color so it's extremely annoying to manually check if it's still activated.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Everything from the dark fine-tuned series seems to reference a compiled/bitmapped skin (Onyx.xmlc).
My facts may be outdated** but if not, that simply means you cannot edit the contents of the player panel without having access to the source files.
And you might be out of luck because I don't think the creator of those skins is still active on the forum anymore.

I've never tried it and do not even know if it's possible, but I was thinking:
Couldn't one create a piggyback of compiled skins by creating another bitmapped skin that depended on an already compiled skin?
Sounds like a lot for the current skin creator.exe to handle.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

boroda

I've never tried it and do not even know if it's possible, but I was thinking:
Couldn't one create a piggyback of compiled skins by creating another bitmapped skin that depended on an already compiled skin?
Sounds like a lot for the current skin creator.exe to handle.

it's a good request for wishlist board.

but user can derive custom skin (not compiled), which depends on any skin, and modifies only some "parent" skin elements. i'm not very experienced in skinning mb (i haven't created any skin at all), maybe some other forum members (@hiccup?) could help with this question.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Just had another look and it now appears that Gluck found a skin bug.

The dark fine-tuned set that comes bundled with MusicBee is actually a collection of standard bitmapped skins.
So, while they're compiled skins, the player panel still hasn't been altered in any way - meaning that one can still change the colours of those buttons.

It looks like MusicBee is not adjusting to the colour that is set in <element id="PlayerFlat.Control.Disabled"/>,
when this setting is enabled <element id="SlimIcons">true</element>    (Edit: only true for elements such as the Last.Fm icon)

Hopefully, Steven will come across this and have a look.
Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:18:29 PM by Mayibongwe
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
it's a good request for wishlist board.
Agree that it would be a nice-to-have kind of thing - being able to recompile a bitmapped skin w/out having the source files in one or two of the below manners:
#1 repositioning the player icons from the "skin.xml"
#2 overriding specific icon elements (e.g changing only the next button and leaving the others intact)

But I recall coming across a reply from Steven where he mentioned that he didn't plan on enhancing the skin creator.exe any further.
So, this probably would be a lot to ask for (I don't feel that strong about it anyway).

hiccup

maybe some other forum members (@hiccup?) could help with this question.
The player panel in a bitmapped (xmlc) skin is a construction similar to a spider's web.
Pretty much every item has a dependency on (is anchored to) another item in the panel, and everything must be defined pixel-prefect to make things work. Even the smallest mistake or misalignment can break the skin.

So even while in theory it perhaps could be possible to have the piggy-back skin option containing images to replace images (such as the lastfm images) in the player panel, you would have to know the exact sizes of these images. (including possibly included high-dpi variations of them)
And without having access to the source files of an xmlc skin it's impossible to know that.

The OP might be better off looking at the Chameleon Dark skin.
Out of the box it looks very similar to the dark fine-tuned skins, but it is a regular XML skin that was designed to adhere to MusicBee's default design as much as possible while making it pretty easy to customise it to one's own colour preferences.

edit
I am only assuming that the lastfm icons in these skins are indeed image files. If they are not, Mayibongwe might be on to something. (not sure, I haven't looked into it)

edit2
Fun fact, I now see that this Chameleon Dark skin of mine is one of the most downloaded ones of all my skin contributions.
And yet the forum post introducing and describing it never received even one response or comment from anyone.

So I am guessing it's absolutely perfect ;-)
Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:40:22 PM by hiccup

Gluck

Wow, thank you for all the attention and suggestions.
It looks like MusicBee is not adjusting to the colour that is set in <element id="PlayerFlat.Control.Disabled"/>,
when this setting is enabled <element id="SlimIcons">true</element>    (Edit: only true for elements such as the Last.Fm icon)

Hopefully, Steven will come across this and have a look.
Great finding!
Until it's fixed turning slim icons off with <element id="SlimIcons">false</element> brings different colors back.