Author Topic: Rating Type Custom Tag Bug  (Read 1579 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
this seem to be the same patch files you had provided May 20, last year. I had tried this already.
All v3.5 patches have the same file name. If Steven posted a patch today, it most definitely is not the same patch file as was posted last May. If you haven't yet applied the patch, open MB > Help > About and make note of the version. Then close MB and apply the patch. Then check the version again. If it's still the same you either have already applied this patch, or you are applying it incorrectly.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

melsonic

Hi Phred,
thanks for your comment and justified remarks.
Good point to check the version number!

I checked a couple of things ...

MB current download from website:
MusicBee 3.5.8698
Released on October 25, 2023

I get the same version info in "About MusicBee" with the "old" files, i.e. unpatched.
(I had copied and put aside the original files before patching and just tested that).

MusicBee 3.5.8778 is the version info after patching (regardless  May 20, 2023 or Jan 16, 2024).

I also compared the files from the May 20, 2023 patch (downloaded before my first post) against the ones in the zip provided yesterday. Same size zip, and same size and modification date of all 23 files in the zips. Must be the same patch.

I conclude that I have patched MB successfully, yet still get the results as demonstrated.

[edit] just noticed that there's a "MusicBee36_Patched.zip" to be found under
https://getmusicbee.com/patches
The zip contains only the MB exe and a plugin. I applied it and the version number is still 3.5.8778 and no change to the problem.
[/edit]

And there's something else ... when clicking the custom rating tag in the track list, "sometimes" the following error is thrown (patched and unpatched, I post both below):

UNPATCHED:
MusicBee v3.5.8698.34385D  (Win10.0), 16 Jan 2024 22:33:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=z8mB0Fz3gRyk8qBovNJ28mMU=.#=zAZqLRMvzyo5F.#=zPVQzk3oz$qZ8(MouseEventArgs #=zK60pSUM=)
   at #=zt5kC_QUQpputtcn$QshTvmU=.#=z736DGfnq_ItJ.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs #=zK60pSUM=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=zjZcuVJ9KFZhdDg0h0npILj0=.WndProc(Message& #=zUkWzezk=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

PATCHED:
MusicBee v3.5.8778.33537D  (Win10.0), 16 Jan 2024 22:36:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=z5e7_4uuh$HfAwio_Tm9cUp0=.#=zL4FmKnJZ65vV.#=zvR$nB1MV2HCo(MouseEventArgs #=zqECjfPg=)
   at #=zE6YBU4y2wooHvgf9T9QQykg=.#=zBiRIfrVx2F5a.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs #=zqECjfPg=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=zMaPzD13qqrKN7bfWCRzs5nU=.WndProc(Message& #=zppTazko=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 09:55:05 PM by melsonic

phred

• Global Moderator
While the current patch version is 3.x.8778, the patches released in May 2023 were in the range of .8526 through .8540. You could not have possibly downloaded a patch in May and wound up with .8778, which Steven released on January 13 2024.

And if you downloaded the 3.6 patch and applied it, you could not possibly wind up with a 3.5 version.

So my guess is you're not applying the patch correctly. You need to extract the files in the downloaded ZIP and copy them to your current MB installation directory. If when doing so, you're not getting a warning from Windows that the files already exist, you're putting the files in the wrong place.

I suppose it's possible you have more than one MB installation on your PC. One is the Installer version and the other might be the Portable or the Windows Store version. What's the path to musicbee.exe when you -launch- MB the way you usually do? And what's the path to where you're putting the unzipped patch files?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

melsonic

Thanks Phred, I'm always running
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe"

The Properties/Details of my current MB exe do read
  File version 3.6.8778-33610
  Date Modified 2024-01-13 08:41

That file origins from
MusicBee36_Patched.zip
downloaded an hour+ ago.

And the version number indeed reads "3.6.8778" ... I had not read correctly.

Patch files are on D:
(A) D:\LOC\Downloads\_sw\_done\MusicBee35_patch_2023-05-20\MusicBee35_Patched.zip
    dated 2024-01-14 23:17

(B) D:\LOC\Downloads\_sw\_done\MusicBee35_patch_2024-01-16\MusicBee35_Patched.zip
    dated 2024-01-16 20:00

(C) D:\LOC\Downloads\_sw\_done\MusicBee36_patch_2024-01-16\MusicBee36_Patched.zip
    dated 2024-01-16 22:45

Unpatched 3.5. files are in
D:\LOC\Downloads\_sw\_done\MusicBee35_unpatched files\MusicBee35_unpatched files.zip

No unzipped patch files around and it takes of course an admin override to actually replace the files in the program directory.

You are also correct in that I never downloaded the true May 20 patch. I just called it May 20 because I used the download link Steven had provided in his post that day. That link and the link he provided the other day lead to the same file in the patch directory. The May 20 patch file doesn't exist anymore in that location.

Nevertheless, I would uphold that I applied the patches correctly and will leave the matter as is for now.
Thanks for your efforts.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the additional information. I don't see anything wrong and it does appear that you've applied the patch properly. It was your comment that you patched to 3.6 and MB still showed 3.5 that sparked my concern you were doing something incorrectly. But that's now attributed to your misreading.

Note the link to the most recent patch is always the same. And the filename of the most recent patch is always the same. Neither the link nor the filename change. So a patch that Steven links to in May, when downloaded eight months later, will download the most recent patch. Which is why what you thought was the May patch was in fact the patch from earlier this week.

As for the issue you're having, I have nothing to add or suggest. You'll just have to wait for Steven (or someone brighter than me) to offer up an idea.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator

melsonic

Thank you so much, Steven!

I confirm that the problem with the Column Browser display of custom tags of type 'rating' is gone.
I already edited my 'danceability' tags from the 0-5 range to the 0-100 range and built a library filter (4 -5 stars) on that tag.
Works like a charm.

For the record: MusicBee Version with todays patch: 3.5.8781 and no more error message when clicking the custom tag rating in the track list.