Author Topic: MB Portable Version requires an installation process every time it is started  (Read 289 times)

Ko

Hello,

I am a new user of MB (and also not experienced with portable programs). Nevertheless, the MB portable version - in contrast to other programs - not only seems to open/install quite extensively on my Win 11 Pro computer, this procedure also has to be carried out again every time I restart the program. This means it takes several times as long as starting the non-portable version.

Is it really meant that way?

Despite multiple searches, I couldn't find anything about this. If necessary, can someone provide a video of what starting MB Portable Version looks like (and how long it takes) AFTER it has already been initially opened/installed?

thanks in advance

frankz

It sounds like you are opening the installer and not the portable version each time.

You have "installed" the portable version to a folder on your computer.  Open musicbee.exe from that folder.  You can right click that exe program file and select "Create Shortcut" to make a short cut to it that you can place on your desktop, task bar or start menu.

This is also not the right area of the forum for questions.

sveakul

Despite multiple searches, I couldn't find anything about this.
Read this carefully:  https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=40059.0

After the completing the correct install as described, you can delete "MusicBeePortable_3_5.exe" and run MusicBee by double-clicking the file "MusicBee.exe" now inside its folder that you made in Step #4 of the procedure above.
Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:10:59 AM by sveakul

Ko

Hello,

1. Sorry for choosing the wrong place in the forum for the question and thanks to sveakul. During my initial search for the right location, I couldn't find a specific area for the portable version. Could someone please provide me with the link to where we should move (and so that I don't pick the wrong place to solve the problem again)?

2. If there are any problems with the move (when you receive one, here is the current status:

a. As far as I remember, I had seen the instructions you linked to a few days ago and did the same thing back then.

b. When I reinstalled again, I had already created a folder myself to keep everything clear (C (=System partition) - Protable Versions - MusicBee Portable), into which I chose the path for the installation. However, no content could be seen there after the installation (not even after I had protected and hidden files displayed).

c. I have now installed it again, consciously following Sveakul's instructions (without deinstalling beforehand, as this is not displayed in the app area of Windows (probably normal for portable versions))

d. Strangely enough, as I noticed, in the path to be chosen for the installation, a "MusicBee" folder is shown as being on the desktop and selectable, but it is not visible on the desktop itself.

e. Also strange: after the new "installation" (like the last one; but I used different target folders for both so that nothing can collide) no file, no folder and especially no MusivBee.exe file are displayed in the line folder , from which I could link to the start menu or somewhere else. This also applies here, even if I make hidden and protected files basically visible.

f. If it helps you gain some insight: The windows that are displayed for MusicBee Portable during installation and also the MusicBee program window that opens afterwards all have a green outer border (is this supposed to indicate that a program is running as a portable version?) . If the installation of MusicBee Portable were to work at all, I would like to have this green border removed (is this a setting that you can change in MusicBee Portable itself or in Windows and if so, where exactly?).

Hopefully it's not the case that I'm so incompetent, have such strange (security) settings or that the MB Portable is programmed so strangely that the installation problems described arise?

Ko

sveakul

I'm sorry man but after your last post I am completely lost as to what you are doing/seeing/describing.  It almost sounds like someone is trying to "play" the forum, but I do believe you are being serious.  There is nothing strange about the programming or the installation process which has been done successfully by thousands without encountering any of this.

All I can say is to try to manually delete/uninstall anything related to "MusicBee" now on your PC--folders, files, everything (except your actual audio files of course!).  Do a search for "Musicbee" with Windows File Explorer set to include hidden files and folders;  then delete everything it finds.  Restart your PC, then follow the instructions I gave step-by-step in my post here https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=40059.0  .  You might want to try a different music player like Boom or 1by1 .

Ko

Hello sveakul,

thanks again for the contribution.

And yes, I was serious. I assumed that when you ask for help, you of course give all the information to the people you ask for help. You see it often enough that people ask for help, but they have to be questioned again and again because they don't describe the problem precisely.

Anyway, your tip (deleting everything including hidden files and then reinstalling) finally worked - thanks for that!

Maybe it was also because I deliberately carried out the installation with admin rights (I'm not sure whether that was the case before).

Fortunately (although inexplicably) the "green border" around the program windows is no longer there.

Who knows what was going on...

Best regards

Ko