Author Topic: Is there a way to change the default settings for devices?  (Read 1681 times)

Phaedrus

I consider anything synced from MusicBee to be disposable. I use USB drives and devices as removable discs to sync music for on-the-go listening. The majority of my use is USB drives for the car and stationary portable listening. I don't update libraries on devices very often but when I do, I attach them as a removable disk to sync files over. The drives are often formatted and usually do not have the same letter, so MusicBee sees them as new. In order to keep things working, I have to make the same tedious setting changes and remember to create the storage folders.

Is there a way to change the default settings for removable media?
Is there a fix for needing to create the storage folder in Windows explorer?
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

hiccup

I don't think that is possible.
You could try to set (the same) fixed USB letter to all the the external USB devices you are using for this, but they probably will be discovered as different devices still. (since they are)

My suggestion would be to create a virtual device. (Preferences > Devices > Add Virtual Device)
Always use that to send your music to, and when you want to copy its contents to a USB device just use Windows Explorer (or a sync tool such as SyncBackFree) to copy the contents over.

Phaedrus

That is an excellent solution that worked great. It led me down through a rabbit hole of possibilities that led to something less elegant, but without the extra copy step.

Music Bee does not look at GUIDs for drives; it only uses the drive letter. Last time I setup static drive letters I ended up with several different schemes over a few months using it. The first few would be fine, but I would forget what I did when I would try to add another drive after a few weeks or months. I got frustrated and switched to streaming. Some of my music is just not available to stream, no single service has everything I like, and I was missing some of my favorites. I figured I'd take another jab at it.

I broke into MusicBee3Settings.ini and created a <DeviceSettings> block for each drive letter from G through Z with the base settings I want. Now it doesn't matter what letter the device uses, the basic settings are the same and I can concentrate on what music to put on it. If I don't try to customize settings, I should be all set.

Edit to add; I still don't have a fix for the error I get if the base folder doesn't exist, but that's minor.
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear