Author Topic: Don't scan monitored folders for changes on startup  (Read 3815 times)

sveakul

Since this is not happening to you, i'm just wondering, would it be possible that some setting in the registry or someplace might still be present from an old full installation of MusicBee that maybe is triggering this behaviour?
Like Zak I use only the Portable version which puts nothing in the registry but you may have another copy of the settings file buried in some Users folder from a past install that was not properly deleted.  To find out do a Windows File Explorer search (include hidden files/folders) for "MusicBee3Settings.ini" which holds the entries that would affect this for the Installer or Portable version.

barles

Like Zak I use only the Portable version which puts nothing in the registry but you may have another copy of the settings file buried in some Users folder from a past install that was not properly deleted.  To find out do a Windows File Explorer search (include hidden files/folders) for "MusicBee3Settings.ini" which holds the entries that would affect this for the Installer or Portable version.

I've looked for that file, sadly i didn't find it.
What's weird is that i setup a virtual windows 10 machine, installed latest MusicBee v3.5 portable, copy over it the latest v3.6. Then started as a new blank library, unchecked "scan on startup" on Settings and added a few mp3 files to the library using "Scan Folders for New Files".

Restarted the virtual machine, opened Task Manager and Resource Monitor/Disk tab and finally started MusicBee, unfortunately the same behaviour occurs. (This is using a USB drive with a few files, before it was internal HDs).

@Steven, i'm aware this is low priority (perhaps i'm the only one that is experiencing this) and that there is no support for v3.6 currently. But i'm at your service to try any test you may feel would be worthwhile.

sveakul

What ways have you looked for the file?  It's there, the app--ANY type-- isn't going to run without one.  In case the File Explorer options are confusing you, download this https://sourceforge.net/projects/swiftsearch/ and just do an all-drives search for "MusicBee."  You may have to run it as an Administrator if you are not logged in as such.  Then post a screenshot of the results.

barles

oh i'm using Everything for searches, i previosuly only looked for that file in C: drive, if i search for it on all the storage devices then i get the entry where portable musicbee is, in my case is in drive L:

The Incredible Boom Boom

What's weird is that i setup a virtual windows 10 machine, installed latest MusicBee v3.5 portable, copy over it the latest v3.6. Then started as a new blank library, unchecked "scan on startup" on Settings and added a few mp3 files to the library using "Scan Folders for New Files".

Restarted the virtual machine, opened Task Manager and Resource Monitor/Disk tab and finally started MusicBee, unfortunately the same behaviour occurs. (This is using a USB drive with a few files, before it was internal HDs).

@Steven, i'm aware this is low priority (perhaps i'm the only one that is experiencing this) and that there is no support for v3.6 currently. But i'm at your service to try any test you may feel would be worthwhile.

Under the VM instance and your regular instance, can you attach the Status Bar and see if anything is popping up in it when you first open MB?
And does this occur with v3.5 or just v3.6?

barles

Under the VM instance and your regular instance, can you attach the Status Bar and see if anything is popping up in it when you first open MB?
And does this occur with v3.5 or just v3.6?

Sorry for the late reply. Nothing appears on the status bar. And yes it happened to me with v3.5 and i thought that was the intended behaviour of MusicBee.
In the near future i'll reinstall Windows 10 and see what happens.
Thanks all for being so attentive.