Author Topic: Artwork Downloader caches all downloads  (Read 1211 times)

sveakul

Just wanted to mention for those who were unaware (like me), when using MB's excellent Artwork Downloader (Tools->Artwork->Downloader), when "preview and choose each picture before saving" is checked, if a preview is performed even if nothing is chosen to save and the tool closed, all the preview pictures found from the 4 (currently) sources are still saved as full-size *.dat files in the folder MusicBee/AppData/TempDownloadedArtwork (folder path reflects the Portable version of MusicBee).  They are not cleared between restarts (although in an earlier version I could swear they were), and as such can build up to many megabytes if you use the tool often.

To manage this I have added an entry to my MusicBee cache-clearer batch file that includes emptying the TempDownloadedArtwork folder when ran.  The entry just for that folder is below;  if desired you can copy this to a text file (change paths as needed) and rename e.g. "Clear TempDownloadedArtwork.bat", which can be run any time you want.  The emptied folder itself is saved.

Code
@ECHO OFF

Set dir="c:\MusicBee\AppData\TempDownloadedArtwork"

Echo Deleting all files from %dir%
del %dir%\* /F /Q

Echo Deleting all folders from %dir%
for /d %%p in (%dir%\*) Do rd /Q /S "%%p"
@echo Folder deleted.

exit

Zak

• Global Moderator
They are not cleared between restarts (although in an earlier version I could swear they were), and as such can build up to many megabytes if you use the tool often.
That sounds like a bug. What reason can there be for keeping these files between sessions, especially in a self-identifying Temp folder?
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
The pictures do need to be cached while using the tool but I am struggling to think of a good reason they need to be kept after the downloader is closed, so i will change MB to remove them

sveakul

Thanks, Steven.  With version 3.5.8509, closing the tool after just a preview, or after selecting and saving one of the choices, now results in the deletion of the entire TempDownloadedArtwork folder.

Steven

• Administrator
Thanks, Steven.  With version 3.5.8509, closing the tool after just a preview, or after selecting and saving one of the choices, now results in the deletion of the entire TempDownloadedArtwork folder.
The folder should only be deleted on closing the dialog window. Is that what you are saying?