Author Topic: Errant unremovable tags  (Read 706 times)

LR

Hello.

An errant tag of "ABEL" is starting to appear in some of my albums, most often with "Publisher" but I also see it in "Genre".

The Publisher is, for example in this picture "ABEL; Chrysalis Records".

Screenshot

"ABEL" seems a lot like LABEL, as in record label, but I don't know.

If I remove ABEL and save, it looks like it's removed but when I restart MusicBee, ABEL is back.  I've tried deleting the album, removing all the MP3 tags, and re-adding the album but the ABEL just appears elsewhere.

It seems like maybe some cache is messed up but I can't find anywhere to rebuild anything like that.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thank you!

LR

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About) INCLUDE THE LETTER (if any) AFTER THE NUMBER
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Welcome to the forum LR.

Also check this post/thread for possible causes:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20204.msg129747#msg129747

Maybe some other software is active and has a grasp on your music files?
Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 06:17:32 PM by hiccup

sveakul

Also check this post/thread for possible causes:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20204.msg129747#msg129747

Maybe some other software is active and has a grasp on your music files?
Good pointer hiccup, I wonder how many other tagging issues blamed on MusicBee actually are created by this.  First thing to do would be use "Turn Windows Features On and Off" in Programs & Features to put WMP back in its box.  If for some reason you don't want to do that you can try adding the entries to your system Hosts file described in the answer by S.Sengupta below the post here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1109362/windows-media-player-how-to-stop-it-from-automatic .

hiccup

First thing to do would be use "Turn Windows Features On and Off" in Programs & Features to put WMP back in its box.
Apologies in advance for perhaps going off-topic prematurely.
But this made me curious: what features/apps are included in Windows 10 and 11 these days than can have an affect on audio files?
(I have honestly no idea or experience with that since I am a long time happy user of LTSB/LTSC versions of Windows)

Steven

• Administrator
But this made me curious: what features/apps are included in Windows 10 and 11 these days than can have an affect on audio files?
(I have honestly no idea or experience with that since I am a long time happy user of LTSB/LTSC versions of Windows)
unless something has changed recently, simply opening WMP is enough for it to decide by itself to scan all your music files on your hard drive and autofill missing tag values

hiccup

unless something has changed recently, simply opening WMP is enough for it to decide by itself to scan all your music files on your hard drive and autofill missing tag values
Wow, that's really bad behaviour for any piece of software.
That would be enough cause to trigger serious warnings or antivirus alerts in my opinion.

So WMP is still an included element in Windows? Also for W11?
Then please remind me to stick with LTSC.

phred

• Global Moderator
Remember to stick with LTSC.

But WMP can be removed (or at least disabled) with just a couple of clicks

EDIT: Typo
Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:18:26 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Remember to stick with LTSC.
Thnx, sounds like good advice. I hope to remember it tomorrow.

Still, it would be interesting to learn if all this deliberation and suggestions are indeed relevant to, and solve the OP's problem.
(I'm betting yes for now)

LR

Hello.

First, thank you to EVERYONE who responded.  I followed all the threads and suggestions and quickly ended up at Tag Inspector.  Sure enough, ABEL is sitting there being all kinds of wrong.  Other music is filled with weird things but none presenting itself in MusicBee.

I am using MusicBee version 3.5.8447.  I do have WMP installed for movies but I must have tripped up somewhere along the way and let it scan and... adjust things.

Problem solved and a learned a lot.  I very much appreciate everyone's time and energy helping me fix this.

Thank you again!

LR

sveakul

You don't have to "let" WMP scan, it will do so all on its own unbidden.  For movies there are all kinds of better alternatives like MPC-HC, MPC-BE, VLC, etc.