Author Topic: Global "Delete: Now Playing File" Hotkey  (Read 1307 times)

Fazer

I want to be able to delete the now playing track even when musicbee is not in focus. With the setting: "Now Playing > Highlight playing track in the main panel: selected track" you still have to re-select the current track after musicbee became out of focus, only then you can press the delete key and enter.

I'm thinking of a global "Delete now playing track" hotkey. It's important that the confirmation can also be pressed globally.

Daily I am going through lists of music in the background while working on my pc, this feature would be great for productivity.
Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:11:26 PM by Fazer

Fazer

After trying some different things (mentioned below) I realize that perhaps there is another way, it can be a “Move To Assigned Folder” hotkey. This has multiple usecases and shouldn’t require a confirmation. Extra efficient when the next track starts playing automatically. (As it does after a delete)

-Hotkey “Send To: Move to Organised Folder”, it clears the track however the confirmation can’t be pressed globally. The next track doesn’t start playing automatically.
-Hotkey “Send To: Inbox” or “Send To: Active playlist (now playing)” (the latter requires an extra click to select playlist), then using a highlight rule to mark these files red to confirm visually, then occasionally going into the playlist/inbox and deleting all. Not ideal since the tracks don't get cleared immediately and the next track doesn't start playing.
Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 06:48:20 AM by Fazer

Steven

• Administrator
there is no way i am going to implement a global hotkey to delete files as its almost certain someone will do something unintended with it

hiccup

I want to be able to delete the currently playing track even when musicbee is not in focus.
It shouldn't be too difficult to achieve this using AHK.

something like:
- bring MusicBee to focus
- hotkey: goto playing track in "playing tracks list"
- delete

There is a problem though when I am testing this:
On my installation 'goto playing track in "playing tracks list" doesn't seem to function.
Not sure why that is.

edit
Hm, locating the track in Now Playing wouldn't work for this, since you can't actually delete a file from there.
It would need to use 'locate playing track in library', but it looks like MusicBee doesn't have a hotkey for that at the moment.
Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:09:51 PM by hiccup

Fazer

there is no way i am going to implement a global hotkey to delete files as its almost certain someone will do something unintended with it

Edit: Maybe it's not such an issue since Foobar2000 does have global hotkeys for deleting file(s), deleting file(s) from playlist, delete file(s) from now playing.

A safer alternative would be a hotkey which moves the now playing file to an assignable folder, no chance to accidentally remove entire folders. Most users wouldn't really use this feature to "remove" files. I would personally send the files to a temporary location to have one extra step before emptying into the recycle bin. An option to enable/disable confirmation would be beneficial.

For anyone who goes through lists of music in the background and removes the unwanted tracks or users who often send music into particular folders, this will be a great enhancement to productivity.

Thank you for your work on MusicBee! Really amazing.

edit
Hm, locating the track in Now Playing wouldn't work for this, since you can't actually delete a file from there.
It would need to use 'locate playing track in library', but it looks like MusicBee doesn't have a hotkey for that at the moment.

Good to be aware that if that hotkey were to be implemented it would solve the issue  :D (Edit: I'm afraid this will open the Playing Tracks tab which is not wanted)
Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 05:13:44 PM by Fazer

hiccup

Good to be aware that if that hotkey were to be implemented it would solve the issue  :D
1. If it gets requested as a wish I think it would have a good chance of getting added.
2. Does "goto playing track in 'Playing tracks list'" work for you? (it doesn't for me)
    If it does, you could setup AHK to first perform that action, then "locate selected track in library", and then 'Delete'.

Fazer

"Goto Playing Track in Playing Tracks List" does nothing for me. Actually if it's supposed to open the Playing Tracks tab then this would be too intrusive and not a good solution. Unless there is a hotkey implemented to close the Playing Tracks tab. Not sure if that would work properly, a more elegant way would be my "Move now playing file to assignable folder" suggestion which also is more intuitive for other users  :)
Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 05:12:22 PM by Fazer

Zak

• Global Moderator
You can assign a global hotkey to the command Send To: Active Playlist (now playing).

So an easier - and much safer - workflow is to create a playlist ("Files to be Deleted", say) and add unwanted tracks to that as you listen to them.
Then at the end of your listening session you can select all the tracks in that playlist and delete the files from there.

This would also require the correct options to be set in Preferences > General > Confirm remove of files from playlists.
Bee excellent to each other...

Fazer

You can assign a global hotkey to the command Send To: Active Playlist (now playing).

So an easier - and much safer - workflow is to create a playlist ("Files to be Deleted", say) and add unwanted tracks to that as you listen to them.
Then at the end of your listening session you can select all the tracks in that playlist and delete the files from there.

This would also require the correct options to be set in Preferences > General > Confirm remove of files from playlists.

I mentioned in my second post:
-Hotkey “Send To: Inbox” or “Send To: Active playlist (now playing)” (the latter requires an extra click to select playlist), then using a highlight rule to mark these files red to confirm visually, then occasionally going into the playlist/inbox and deleting all. Not ideal since the tracks don't get cleared immediately and the next track doesn't start playing.

I use Send To: Inbox which is one click less. This method is only good while passively going through a list, when actively working in a folder this is not practical as the tracks don't get removed immediately. Then I use normal delete. Still annoying because I waste one button and it is inconvenient to switch.

Thanks for mentioning the confirmation preferences, forgot about those!

Zak

• Global Moderator
Sorry, missed your earlier mention of Send To: Active playlist.
I can appreciate trying to reduce clicks, but given a one key "Delete the currently playing file" command has been vetoed, you'll have to compromise somewhere.

I've just tried this, which seems to work pretty well:

Assign a global hotkey to Send To: Active Playlist (now playing).
Start playing some music to "audition". Whatever method is used to start playing shouldn't matter.
Then, open the Playlist Explorer from the left-hand Navigation Panel and select your "Tracks to delete" playlist.
Now, even when working in other programs, if a song comes on that you don't want to keep, press the global hotkey to add it to that playlist without having to select from the pop-up playlist menu. (I guess that's where the 'Active' in 'Active Playlist' comes into play)
Obviously, there's nothing in place to immediately skip to the next track, but you can also assign a global hotkey to Playback: Play Next Track (or you can use the Next multimedia key if your keyboard has one).

As mentioned before, at some later time just delete all the tracks in the selected playlist.

Unless I've missed something else, this seems like a pretty simple way to audition tracks for keeping or deleting while MusicBee stays in the background.
And you won't have to use the Inbox for something it's not designed for.

Fazer

Sorry, missed your earlier mention of Send To: Active playlist.
I can appreciate trying to reduce clicks, but given a one key "Delete the currently playing file" command has been vetoed, you'll have to compromise somewhere.

I've just tried this, which seems to work pretty well:

Assign a global hotkey to Send To: Active Playlist (now playing).
Start playing some music to "audition". Whatever method is used to start playing shouldn't matter.
Then, open the Playlist Explorer from the left-hand Navigation Panel and select your "Tracks to delete" playlist.
Now, even when working in other programs, if a song comes on that you don't want to keep, press the global hotkey to add it to that playlist without having to select from the pop-up playlist menu. (I guess that's where the 'Active' in 'Active Playlist' comes into play)
Obviously, there's nothing in place to immediately skip to the next track, but you can also assign a global hotkey to Playback: Play Next Track (or you can use the Next multimedia key if your keyboard has one).

As mentioned before, at some later time just delete all the tracks in the selected playlist.

Unless I've missed something else, this seems like a pretty simple way to audition tracks for keeping or deleting while MusicBee stays in the background.
And you won't have to use the Inbox for something it's not designed for.

Good to know what active refers to there.

The veto was against a global delete hotkey, I am however only in need of a global "Delete: Now Playing" hotkey. This feature has limited risk.
(Foobar2000 does have global hotkeys for deleting file(s), deleting file(s) from playlist and delete file from now playing.)
Another option would be the "Move now playing file to assignable folder" as suggested before, this also has multiple usecases.
It is important when any of thes options are considered that the confirmation is global/in focus. (And preferrably optional.)

I am currently using a macro for "Send To: Inbox" followed by "Playback: Play Next Track". Since for my needs I haven't come across any reason to use library features the inbox is still the easiest method as it doesn't require opening/closing the Playlist explorer which is even more inconvenient on top of having to use two seperate hotkey for "Send To: Active Playlist" and "delete" depending on usecase. Having the playlist explorer open is just not an option since space for tag collumns is limited on my vertical monitor.
Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:03:38 PM by Fazer

Zak

• Global Moderator
Having the playlist explorer open is just not an option since space for tag collumns is limited on my vertical monitor.
I've now noticed you don't need to select your "Tracks to Delete" playlist in the Playlist Explorer.
Just having the playlist open in the active tab gives the same result (bypassing the pop-up playlist menu).
Though it's just to specify the 'active' playlist, so it shouldn't matter what is displayed vertically or otherwise - you don't have to interact with it.

I am currently using a macro for "Send To: Inbox" followed by "Playback: Play Next Track"...  the inbox is still the easiest method as it doesn't require opening/closing the Playlist explorer which is even more inconvenient on top of having to use two seperate hotkey for "Send To: Active Playlist" and "delete" depending on usecase.
I don't see how what you have described here is more convenient than what I suggested.
How does a hotkey for Send To: Inbox help here, when that only works with the selected track rather than the currently playing track?
The goal is to not have to select songs in MusicBee when auditioning your music, no?

Daily I am going through lists of music in the background while working on my pc, this feature would be great for productivity.
What I have suggested will allow you to do exactly this with minimal interaction with the MusicBee interface.

I wonder if you've started this thread with a solution in mind and have fixated on finding a way to implement your solution instead of considering alternative routes that arrive at the same destination.
I don't mean that as a personal criticism - people do it a lot - but I don't know how to word it better  :-X.

Fazer

Having the playlist explorer open is just not an option since space for tag collumns is limited on my vertical monitor.
I've now noticed you don't need to select your "Tracks to Delete" playlist in the Playlist Explorer.
Just having the playlist open in the active tab gives the same result (bypassing the pop-up playlist menu).
Though it's just to specify the 'active' playlist, so it shouldn't matter what is displayed vertically or otherwise - you don't have to interact with it.

Ok that's good to know. Took me some time to understand what you wrote as it's not an intuitive workflow.
I definitely need to be viewing the folder I am listening to and deleting from.

A screenshot of my setup.

I am currently using a macro for "Send To: Inbox" followed by "Playback: Play Next Track"...  the inbox is still the easiest method as it doesn't require opening/closing the Playlist explorer which is even more inconvenient on top of having to use two seperate hotkey for "Send To: Active Playlist" and "delete" depending on usecase.
I don't see how what you have described here is more convenient than what I suggested.
How does a hotkey for Send To: Inbox help here, when that only works with the selected track rather than the currently playing track?
The goal is to not have to select songs in MusicBee when auditioning your music, no?

Enable in Preferences > Now Playing > Playback "highlight playing track in main panel".

I wonder if you've started this thread with a solution in mind and have fixated on finding a way to implement your solution instead of considering alternative routes that arrive at the same destination.
I don't mean that as a personal criticism - people do it a lot - but I don't know how to word it better  :-X.

Not at all, If there is a way to get the result then I am happy. I came with the question for a Global "Delete: Now Playing File" Hotkey and then I gave the alternative suggestion of a "Move Now Playing File to Assignable Folder" hotkey.

Besides that I mentioned I have tried:
“Send To: Move to Organised Folder”, “Send To: Inbox” and “Send To: Active playlist (now playing)”.

Also I have tried methods such as "Rating Now Playing: Toggle Love" or "Rating Now Playing: 5 stars" (then sorting by rating and deleting rated tracks).

The best option is “Send To: Inbox” as it does not require specifying playlist or having the playlist explorer open (/can keep my work folder open instead of looking at the delete playlist as you mentioned regarding "Send To: Active playlist (now playing)"). Still this is not practical when actively working in a folder as it doesn't clear tracks immediately, so I'm still switching between “Send To: Inbox” and regular delete depending on usecase which is not ideal and takes up extra key space. Also “Send To: Inbox” requires a macro for pressing "Playback: Play Next Track" after.
Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:45:39 AM by Fazer

Zak

• Global Moderator
If you have something that kind of works for you with the current limitations then all is good.
You're right that my playlist solution isn't practical if you don't want it taking up the screen while you're doing this.

Maybe Steven will read the replies and consider adding some other global hotkeys - besides Delete playing track - that could make it even easier.

That's the first vertical layout of MusicBee I've seen too, though I have no idea what all those numbers mean!

Fazer

If you have something that kind of works for you with the current limitations then all is good.
You're right that my playlist solution isn't practical if you don't want it taking up the screen while you're doing this.

Maybe Steven will read the replies and consider adding some other global hotkeys - besides Delete playing track - that could make it even easier.

That's the first vertical layout of MusicBee I've seen too, though I have no idea what all those numbers mean!

It's surprising to me that not more people use a vertical monitor for something which involves lists, so much wasted space on the average layout. Monitors can be super cheap these days, my vertical full hd hdmi monitor was 20E 2nd hand. Musicbee diserves to be always open on it's own dedicated monitor  :)

Regarding those numbers, this is my quality control process:
-The first step is checking volume, "Track gain" is the fastest way to see this (Usually shouldn't be above -7db, depending on genre and decade).
-Use a hotkey to launch the track into SPEK to detect quality loss.
(-Also the filesize can show low bitrates, the Mb file size of a 320kbps mp3 should never be below time in minutes x2. Eg: A 3 minute track should never be smaller than 6Mb)
-The last step is listening.
-Once the quality is approved, I insert "(20k)" before the title tag. It's true that not every good quality track has information which reaches 20khz on the spectrogram, so when I confirm the track has been deliberately mixed to 18k I will label it as 20k anyways. When the quality of a track is in doubt or clearly down compressed (and I don't immediately have time to replace the song or it can't be found, which happens usually with older music) then it will get their respective (18k) or (16k) label, which also triggers a subtle darker highlight.

(This process of comparing tags from multiple files in different folders is one example of where my suggestion for double file panes would be very efficient.)

For making mix playlists I puzzle with 'BPM" (beats per minute), "Key" and "Comment" (energy level and/or mood tags).
Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:43:07 PM by Fazer