Author Topic: Issue with Separator ; Between Windows - MusicBee  (Read 644 times)

Raphi73

Hello MusicBee Community!

Im new to this so I hope Im not doing anything wrong...

My Problem:
Window separates Artists of a Title by semicolon ;
To have separated artists in MusicBee, MB also uses a semicolon to separate. So that would work perfectly, BUT when I add a title with multiple artists separated by windows with a semicolon, MB turns it the semicolon to a slash / and wont se the artists as multiple separated artists.

https://imgur.com/HRzLaQj

I hope you can understand what I mean
Is there a fix for this?

vincent kars

Window separates Artists of a Title by semicolon ;
It helps if you are a bit more specific. You are using a Windows utility (file Explorer?) to alter tags.
Observe that the ; is not a delimiter in case of multiple values. In fact depending on the tagging schema the delimiter will be different.
Some tagging schemas even don't use a delim at alle, the simply write a seperate tag for each instance.
See https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112634.0.html for some examples.

If the utility you are using is not aware of these different conventions, you just add plain text.
Solutions:
Do your edit inside Musicbee, regardless of the tagging schema, it will translate it to the appropriate format.
If you edit outside Musicbee, use a tagger that is audio aware e.g. MP3Tag.

Raphi73

It helps if you are a bit more specific. You are using a Windows utility (file Explorer?) to alter tags.
Observe that the ; is not a delimiter in case of multiple values. In fact depending on the tagging schema the delimiter will be different.
Some tagging schemas even don't use a delim at alle, the simply write a seperate tag for each instance.
See https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112634.0.html for some examples.

If the utility you are using is not aware of these different conventions, you just add plain text.
Solutions:
Do your edit inside Musicbee, regardless of the tagging schema, it will translate it to the appropriate format.
If you edit outside Musicbee, use a tagger that is audio aware e.g. MP3Tag.

Hello and thank you for your anwer! Yes, I used Windows explorer to tag my music mostly. I am using MusicBee for only a month. Thats why it would be hard to edit all the files in MusicBee now. I actually still cant see why MusicBee doesnt recognize that by itself. It obviously does know, that there are multiple artist in a song, because it is uses a delimiter correctly. It just doesnt use the correct one to actually separate the artists by itself. Thats whats irritating me.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Yes, I used Windows explorer to tag my music mostly. I am using MusicBee for only a month. Thats why it would be hard to edit all the files in MusicBee now.
I have no idea why MusicBee does that, but I can offer a solution:

Select all the tracks with multi-value tags that MusicBee has now separted by a forward slash /
Then go to Tools > Tagging Tools > Search and Replace...

Search for "/" (without the quotes)
Select the <artist> field
Replace with "; "

By doing that, MusicBee will update the values accordingly.
Then going forward, to make ur life easier, just do your tag editing using MusicBee itself.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

The Incredible Boom Boom

It just doesnt use the correct one to actually separate the artists by itself. Thats whats irritating me.

MusicBee is following the most convenient and approved way of delimiting multiple artists - a null character. It's representation to the user is a semicolon, but it is not actually the character code for a semicolon.

@Mayibongwe's advice of mass changing your files with MusicBee not editing them in File Explorer is your best course of action.