Author Topic: Albums view: Sort titles inside albums  (Read 734 times)

Acoustics

Hi,

In the view Albums, is it possible to sort the tracks by a tag other than the track number?

I have a special album in which I drop all the singles (so a sort of huge compilation album, with Album Artist = 'Various Artists')
I don't want to set track numbers for this album because the content changes very often. I would like the tracks to be sorted automatically by Artist.

By default, when the tracks are not numbered, the tracks are sorted by Title, if this can be changed somewhere?

My idea is to use a virtual tag to apply a specific sorting for the tracks in this album only.

Thanks!

Acoustics

It seems not possible, so finally I will number the tracks. So problem solved.
Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 08:02:32 AM by Acoustics

The Incredible Boom Boom

In the view Albums, is it possible to sort the tracks by a tag other than the track number?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, because the answer is "yes" and it's very easy to find the option to do so.
However...

I have a special album in which I drop all the singles (so a sort of huge compilation album, with Album Artist = 'Various Artists')
I don't want to set track numbers for this album because the content changes very often. I would like the tracks to be sorted automatically by Artist.

By default, when the tracks are not numbered, the tracks are sorted by Title, if this can be changed somewhere?

My idea is to use a virtual tag to apply a specific sorting for the tracks in this album only.

You will need to use a Virtual Tag to apply your desired sorting method to this specific collection of songs.
You can then use the Sorting/Grouping menu in Preferences to add your Virtual Tag to the "defined sorting" list and from there, click on the icon to the right of the Search bar -> Main Panel -> Sort By to sort your view in accordance with your Virtual Tag.

Acoustics

After several months I search again for a way to do it and run into my post... Thanks for the answer The IBB, but it seems it can't be done even with virtual tags.

In short:
I have an album where tracks are not numbered (I don't want because I add new tracks in this album regularly).
In the Album view, I want to sort the titles of this album by a certain tag. But it seems they can't be sorted by something else than the title names :-(

I found another post with the same need: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25377.0

hiccup

In the Album view, I want to sort the titles of this album by a certain tag. But it seems they can't be sorted by something else than the title names :-(
That is not a correct statement.

In 'Album View' you can sort the tracks to your hearts desire when showing tracks:
- in a separate panel
- to the right of the main panel
- at the bottom of the main panel

So I am guessing you are speaking of the 'enhanced panel'? (directly under…)
That will mimic how physical albums show the tracks that it contains.
And from vinyl, to cd, to digital downloads, track numbers are the key operator here.

If you have no use for track numbers as they are intended to be used, couldn't you sort on the tag that you find important, and then renumber the tracks using that order?

Still, to me it feels like we are talking about something like 'playlists' and no so much about 'albums'.
But you could create a wishlist topic for this of course.

Acoustics

In 'Album View' you can sort the tracks to your hearts desire when showing tracks:
- in a separate panel
- to the right of the main panel
- at the bottom of the main panel

Yeah, I'm talking about the titles in the main panel :

If you have no use for track numbers as they are intended to be used, couldn't you sort on the tag that you find important, and then renumber the tracks using that order?
Indeed... I would prefer something automatic and not having to rewrite the tags too often in the files, if possible (it changes the modification date for the files, so for the backups, etc this may have consequences)

But you could create a wishlist topic for this of course.
Probably I will do it.

hiccup

Yeah, I'm talking about the titles in the main panel :
"Yeah, I'm talking about the titles in the main panel enhanced panel"

It's best to name things as they are so to keep everyone on the same page.
The other three options that I mentioned are also in 'the main panel'.
You are specifically talking about the 'enhanced panel'.
Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:54:06 PM by hiccup

Acoustics

OK for the "enhanced panel". I ignored this term, I don't recall seeing this term in the program.

hiccup

OK for the "enhanced panel". I ignored this term, I don't recall seeing this term in the program.
You are right.
It's a rather 'hidden' term indeed.
I think it was copied/originated from iTunes and I think that is how it is called there.

It would be good if MusicBee's interface used that term too. It could (have) save(d) quite some confusion about this.
But I'm too lazy to create a wish/suggestion for it.

MotleyG

Indeed... I would prefer something automatic and not having to rewrite the tags too often in the files, if possible (it changes the modification date for the files, so for the backups, etc this may have consequences)
There are some tagging programs that can save tag changes without updating the file modification date.  The options in mp3tag for example has a setting for this but it is not by default. The caveat here is that most programs won't know that anything needs to be updated, so you will need to manually do this in MusicBee. There is also a configurable track and disc number wizard in mp3tag that you could use to automate this as you prefer.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Awwok, that panel. Yes, it does not seem like sorting can occur with Virtual Tags there.