Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 938119 times)

boroda

these 2 buttons assigns virtual tag function id, and removes assignment
Huh, I always just assumed that the Save All/Close button did that automatically - if the text field has content, then it's applied, if the field is empty, it's removed.  If there's some mystical need for this two-step approach, then it definitely should be documented better! :)
actually, you are right. ⌘ button does nothing, id assignment is happening, when caret leaves id text field. the only function of ⌘ button is to provide an easy way to move input focus from id field.

----------------------------

new beta version:

numerous minor bug fixes, improvements, new tool tips, confirmation dialogs, and code refactoring. i only hope that i didn't break some functionality during code refactoring, but source code is now more readable.

now double-clicking user ASR presets opens preset editor, double-clicking stock ASR presets opens preset editor in read-only mode.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m6jo0wczobidwkp/mb_TagTools_beta.zip/file

hiccup

actually, you are right. ⌘ button does nothing, id assignment is happening, when caret leaves id text field. the only function of ⌘ button is to provide an easy way to move input focus from id field.
But that also happens when you click somewhere else in the panel.
So wouldn't it be best to just remove the place of interest button?
That will also allow for a slightly wider input field.

edit:
This warning also pops up when the field is left blank.
That probably shouldn't happen?

Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:52:56 AM by hiccup

Messiaen

i've made new virtual tag function $Char(hexadecimal unicode code)
Does this require Steven to activate it or something, as it doesn't seem to work: Something simple like $Char(00A7) is just replaced by... nothing.  (Should be a '§', as a test.)

hiccup

Not for me, a wrong preset still sometimes gets triggered, and some preset hotkeys don't work at all.
it's even strange that it somehow worked ever at all. there was a blunder. internal counter of all hotkeys was shifted by 1, and this internal counter very vaguely related (and relates, it's by design) to any display order of presets/hotkeys. i hope, it's fixed:
I'm still (again?) getting wrong presets being triggered by hotkeys and some not working at all.
Using similar presets as from my earlier example.

Never mind, my mistake, I see was using an older virtual tag that didn't align with how I have now setup the presets.
All's good.

Nitpicking: perhaps change both texts to Auto-apply ?

I have never used this feature, but do I understand correctly that it allows to enter tags that will remain unchanged, no matter what the preset says?

If that is the case, perhaps a wording such as 'preserve tags' would be better than 'skip input tag values'.
And I am also curious when you would use this feature?
Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:19:09 PM by hiccup

hiccup

…and renamed "import all"/"import new" buttons to "update all"/"update new".
Not sure about that one to be honest.
As the tooltip says, it's more of loading presets than updating them I think?
Or will it sometimes indeed update existing presets with updated/improved versions?

boroda

i've made this button to not confuse users that there is no "confirmation" button (though this button is actually not needed). i'll keep this button. as for width of id field, i've changed anchors of that field and 2 adjacent buttons, so id field is resized on ASR window resizing.

This warning also pops up when the field is left blank.
That probably shouldn't happen?

damn. the same for ALR. nobody noticed it, though this bug existed from the beginning. it's fixed.

Does this require Steven to activate it or something, as it doesn't seem to work: Something simple like $Char(00A7) is just replaced by... nothing.  (Should be a '§', as a test.)
i've copied this function from ASR, and kept "private" declaration instead of changing it to "public", so the function was invisible to mb. it's fixed.

ok, i'll change this.

I have never used this feature, but do I understand correctly that it allows to enter tags that will remain unchanged, no matter what the preset says?

If that is the case, perhaps a wording such as 'preserve tags' would be better than 'skip input tag values'.
And I am also curious when you would use this feature?
not tags, but any values of any tags, no matter what tags contain these values.

i don't remember why i've introduced this field, but here is an offhand example:

you want to apply some preset to album artist, but don't want to change "service" album artists, e.g. "Various Artists" or "Compilations".

--------------

mentioned fixes, and some other fixes and very minor UX improvements (on ASR preset importing):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2t08o9562efboi/mb_TagTools_latest.zip/file

hiccup

i've made this button to not confuse users that there is no "confirmation" button (though this button is actually not needed). i'll keep this button. as for width of id field, i've changed anchors of that field and 2 adjacent buttons, so id field is resized on ASR window resizing.
With all due respect, I disagree.
This is a button that does nothing. (and has a symbol that nobody will understand)

To make things more consistent all over, why not make it so that the virtual tag id is not automatically saved as soon as the field gets out of focus, and make it behave just like any other field (both in AT&RT and in MusicBee) so that a user will need to press 'save' to apply it?
Don't you agree it would make things more consistent and intuitive?

hiccup

not tags, but any values of any tags, no matter what tags contain these values.
Ah, so values indeed.
Thanks for explaining.

edit:
Still, something like: 'preserve' tag values may be better than 'skip' input tag values?
I'm not sure.
Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:22:46 PM by hiccup

boroda

…and renamed "import all"/"import new" buttons to "update all"/"update new".
Not sure about that one to be honest.
As the tooltip says, it's more of loading presets than updating them I think?
Or will it sometimes indeed update existing presets with updated/improved versions?

the problem is that the english is not my native language. it would be helpful if you could suggest better wording.

yes, 2 "update" buttons really update some presets in use by ASR from the folder "Plugins\ASR Presets" (either from "mb folder\plugins\asr presets" or "mb appdata\plugins\asr presets", depending on how you have installed the plugin (and its presets), and depending on what mb version you are using - portable or installer). it's supposed that "Plugins\ASR Presets" folder contains all most recent "stock" asr presets. but you may not want to load them all to "mb appdata\asr presets" folder. this folder is working folder for asr. it can contain user presets, default "stock" presets, customized "stock" presets (you can change <tag #> and <custom #> values for some "stock presets"). some "stock" presets may be deleted by user from asr working folder.

"update all" loads all available in ""Plugins\ASR Presets" folder "stock" presets to asr working folder, but this command will ask you if you want to update customized "stock" presets (if any), i.e. "slightly changes" stock presets (user can't edit "stock" presets for real).

"update new" loads to asr working folder only "stock" presets, changed by me since last time user loaded "stock" presets, but this command will also ask you if you want to update customized "stock" presets (if any). and it won't reload any deleted by user "stock" presets (i mean deleted by user from asr working folder).

-------------------------

i've unified all instances of "auto apply"/"auto-apply"/"autoapply" words in the whole plugin to "auto-apply".

i've changed field label and tool tips (over label and over field itself).

------------------------------------

you are welcome to propose further improvements to wordings.

------------------------------------

update plugin version:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2t08o9562efboi/mb_TagTools_latest.zip/file
Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:01:55 PM by boroda

hiccup

the problem is that the english is not my native language. it would be helpful if you could suggest better wording.
Yeah, while it's not mine either, I believe that the Russian language is far more complicated, and more distanced from English than mine.
I'll give things some further thought now I understand the functions a little bit better, but I also hope that some native English speakers (such as e.g. Messiaen and phred) have something to say/add to all this too.
(as long as they don't try to impersonate 18th century writers, I declare)

This may all seem a little bit of nitpicking, but I truly believe the choice of one single word will be able to confuse a user. Certainly new ones.
And improving on it might invite users to try out features they would otherwise ignore or be a little bit scared of.

Thanks for being open to all this. I have been learning some things here ;-)

boroda

hiccup, i've edited my previous post when you were answering. you may want to reread it.

hiccup

hiccup, i've edited my previous post when you were answering. you may want to reread it.
I surely will.
But I'm calling it a day for now. Cheers.

boroda

but I also hope that some native English speakers (such as e.g. Messiaen and phred) have something to say/add to all this too.
yeah, i really hope for them

Messiaen

...as long as they don't try to impersonate 18th century writers, I declare
So I guess you don't want my ghostly spirit channeling of Montaigne, Dostoevsky, Proust, or Rabelais?  I can do Harry Potter too, if pushed.   :)  Jeez, tough audience.

This may all seem a little bit of nitpicking, but I truly believe the choice of one single word will be able to confuse a user. Certainly new ones.
And improving on it might invite users to try out features they would otherwise ignore or be a little bit scared of.
It's not nitpicking at all as your motives are in the honest pursuit of helping users make sense of the things in front of them.  When I first discovered MB about a year ago I wouldn't ordinarily have looked too closely at virtual expressions as I couldn't see a practical application for them.  And then I ran into the wall of Steven's very strange decision (since changed, thank god) to calculate all times in minutes and seconds, no hours.  So, I dug into this virtual stuff, and now I can't live without it.  So, the more inviting something is, the better.

Every now and then I do get a particular sense of glee at how someone else expresses an idea in English... say, for example, in the Auto-Library UI there's a lovely option which says "Calculate aggregated functions and save them to tags..."  The problem is, while I think I fully understand what that means, I'm not entirely sure, and I love the wording so I don't want to change it - though if ever there were options people might "be a little bit scared of" they'd for sure be worded just like that one.  :)  It makes me smile every time I see it though I know 99% of users would be confused by the nature of combining words like "aggregate" and "function".

Honestly though, I have no idea how to simplify it. (At the moment.)  Let me commune with my Shakespearean brethren and I'll get back to you on that one.   ;)

phred

• Global Moderator
but I also hope that some native English speakers (such as e.g. Messiaen and phred) have something to say/add to all this too.
yeah, i really hope for them
I haven't been paying close attention to all the suggestions over the past two forum pages. I will reread the verbiage comments closely and try to come up with some suggestions for better tool tips and button text. I will get to this over the course of this weekend.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here