Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 936915 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I haven't checked CPU usage, but with the latest version, starting over from scratch per boroda74's instructions, it's now taking about 45 minutes to backup 18,000 tracks. I then deleted some tags from three tracks and attempted a restore. That took about 20-25 minutes.
My auto-backup is now set for 90 minutes and since I just launched MB for the first time since the change, I'll report back later today about the auto-backup. There are about 50 new tracks added to the library since the new, full backup yesterday.

@boroda74- what about Steven's suggestion for a possible speed up? http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.msg118611#msg118611
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Duke9700

Make sure you have copied mb_TagTools.dll file under Plugins folder.

Yep - the problem was my not being able to follow instructions. You'd think after decades in IT I'd figure it out! I was happily dumping everything into the MusicBee folder and not the Plugins subfolder.

I'll go stand in the corner for my timeout...

Steven

• Administrator
@boroda74- what about Steven's suggestion for a possible speed up? http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.msg118611#msg118611
that comment was mostly for the issues around saving and retrieving non-xml compliant tag data. The speed improvement wouldnt be much.
I have PM'ed boroda74 with a suggestion for an API enhancement that might help but that wouldnt be until v3.1

phred

• Global Moderator
@boroda74 - can we get persistent windows in the latest ATRT please?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

Steven, answering your pm here, yes, probably it would be great enhancement to bulk save/read all tags of multiple tracks at once.

redwing, what do you think about this version?:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/611of07fk25fk5z/mb_TagTools_2016-10-15.zip

of course, its not compatible with previous backups again.

boroda

phred, i'm just forgetting to uncomment this part of code (which remembers window sizes/positions). this definitely will be fixed in final version. 

phred

• Global Moderator
phred, i'm just forgetting to uncomment this part of code (which remembers window sizes/positions). this definitely will be fixed in final version.
Great - thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

Great improvement!
Now creating a backup of 400 tracks takes about 7-8 secs. And tag history command works very fast. Restoring tags is a lot faster than backing up.
What's changed? Any downsides compared to the previous versions?

phred

• Global Moderator
Great improvement!
Now creating a backup of 400 tracks takes about 7-8 secs. And tag history command works very fast. Restoring tags is a lot faster than backing up.
Hmmm ... I guess this is a case of 'different strokes for different folks.' Testing a full backup on my 18,000+ tracks took almost one hour and 15 minutes. About 30 minutes longer than the previous version.

Tag history command is indeed faster. As is restoring tags for selected tracks is much much faster.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

Great improvement!
no, i just haven't been sure if new solution is acceptable. actually i was going to write backup/restore this way initially, but had thought that source code would be too complicated. in fact new code is more compact, more efficient and more readable than previous one.

------

phred, could you post timings for backup/restore with new version (you have very large library and plugin speed is not linear respective the size of library).

-------

edit:
sorry, phred, you already answered my question.

boroda

Hmmm ... I guess this is a case of 'different strokes for different folks.' Testing a full backup on my 18,000+ tracks took almost one hour and 15 minutes. About 30 minutes longer than the previous version.
phred, i think you write about initial (first, baseline) backup. what about further (incremental) backups?

redwing

Just tested with a 12,000 tracks library.
The initial backup took 5 mins and each incremental backup took 12 mins (5 mins for writing + 7 mins for comparing).
But tag history command is not working properly. First time it worked with a brief "Not Responding" message but then the right click menu for the command disappeared. After relaunching MB, now it throws the following error:

Code
10.0.14393.0 - 3.0.6130.40302 - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.TagHistoryPlugin.fillTable(String folder, Boolean includeSubfolders, Int32 maxBackupCount, Int32 trackIndex, Boolean reuseCache)
   at MusicBeePlugin.TagHistoryPlugin.rereadButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

It worked fine when testing with 400 tracks.

redwing

Testing a full backup on my 18,000+ tracks took almost one hour and 15 minutes. About 30 minutes longer than the previous version.

Try again after completely deleting tag backups folder and the plugin's settings file in appdata folder.

redwing

When creating an incremental backup, can't it do comparing first and then write only changed tags? Then it could save about a half of the time.

phred

• Global Moderator
Testing a full backup on my 18,000+ tracks took almost one hour and 15 minutes. About 30 minutes longer than the previous version.

Try again after completely deleting tag backups folder and the plugin's settings file in appdata folder.
I had deleted the backups folder before trying a full backup today, but not the settings file. So now I've deleted them both and started another full tag backup. Will report back later today.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki