Author Topic: Restoring Tags using additional tagging tools  (Read 631 times)

wildscapes

I had to move my musicbee database to a new PC. Previously on my old PC I would make it a habit to back up all my tags just in case I would need to restore them, on the new PC using additional tools I tried to restore the tags from my previous PC but it did not work, I must be doing something wrong, any ideals ? The errorn I get indicates the baseline.bbl file does not exist....

boroda

.bbl is the backup baseline file, which contains all initially backed up tags. all other backups are incremental (and these files have extension .xml), i.e. contain only tags, changed since the baseline backup. you won't see this file in plugin dialogs (1st visible backup is empty incremental backup), but you can easily find this file (and all other, incremental files) in backup folder.

but you won't be able to restore tags on mb, which uses a new library. to restore tags, you must copy .mbl file to the new pc, but this will automatically keep your tags.

the only solution i see is to copy mb library yo the new pc, and to use file> library> relink music file paths.

the "backup & restore" part of the plugin is intended to be some kind of "time machine", to use it always on the same mb library (just because the plugin needs to know tracks unique ids to restore tags, using track paths would be too unreliable).

wildscapes

Thanks for the reply.
In my tag backups folder I have the following files which I moved from the old PC.
.Master Tag Index,mbi
MusicBee - baseline.bbl
MusicBee - Tag Backup .mbc file
MusicBee - Tag Backup .XML file

When I try to restore the tags I get an error saying no baseline file exists.
My music files are in the same path as the previous PC under C:\Music

It's the tags I created myself that I'm trying to get back, it's alot of research ....these would be under (TAGS) 2 where the custom fields can be populated.
Thanks again...

boroda

try to set up auto-backup folder 1st: tools> additional tagging tools> (auto)backup settings.

if this doesn't help, post a screenshot of the error message because i don't understand if it's windows, mb or plugin message.

---

have you copied .mbl file (mb library) from old pc? if you have, then i don't know why you need to restore tags.
Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:44:30 AM by boroda

wildscapes

The errors could be me, can you tell me which directory I am supposed to place the additional tagging and reporting plugin ?
I have it in the following which seems to not be correct..
c:\users\patrick\appdata\roaming\musicbee\plugins

Thank you again...