Author Topic: [Linux] Album covers not appearing after restarting  (Read 989 times)

venusor

Hey all, I got MusicBee working in Linux (Ubuntu 22.04) with Wine after some tinkering, and am starting a fresh library. When I scan a folder, music is added and I can see the album artwork in "Album Covers" view. However, when I restart MusicBee, I see "No Cover Art" in place of the album artwork. What's frustrating is when playing a track, the album cover is shown in the bottom right, and each track clearly has album art when going into the properties of the track.

I also noticed that sometimes if I Ctrl+scroll in and out really quickly, I briefly see some of the album covers before they go back to the gray "No Cover Art". I chmod 777'd an entire album folder to confirm it isn't a file permission issue. Before I chalk this up to some weird issue with Wine/Linux, what else could I try?

When adding an album (Jar of Flies)

After restarting (album cover doesn't show for album, but does for current track)
Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 03:52:22 PM by venusor

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Hi venusor, welcome to the forum.

This probably won't fix it, but you can try resetting the artwork cache and rescanning the music files in Tools > Advanced.
If that doesn't work, you can try some of the other suggestions mentioned in the following threads:
If that won't do it as well, then it's probably a Linux issue as you suspect.

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=27758.0
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25758.0
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24254.0
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

vincent kars

My guess work
Media players when creating a new library starts scanning the audio files.
Likewise importing new files.
As scanning audio files is very time consuming, all tags are stored in a database for fast retrieval.
Likewise album art is stored in a specific directory
In my case C:\Users\vince\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache

As this is typical Win, check where they are stored on Linux. Maybe the path is simply wrong or missing hence if you restart the album art won't be retrieved.

venusor

My guess work
Media players when creating a new library starts scanning the audio files.
Likewise importing new files.
As scanning audio files is very time consuming, all tags are stored in a database for fast retrieval.
Likewise album art is stored in a specific directory
In my case C:\Users\vince\AppData\Local\MusicBee\InternalCache

As this is typical Win, check where they are stored on Linux. Maybe the path is simply wrong or missing hence if you restart the album art won't be retrieved.

I think you are onto something here. My cache is in: ~/.wine/drive_c/users/venus/AppData/Local/MusicBee/InternalCache/AlbumCovers
This is essentially the same as yours, but Wine's way of tricking Windows programs to think that there's a C drive. I noticed when I clear the contents of this directory, and re-launch MusicBee, it is the same effect as when I just added the albums, it appears. But now, when I try scrolling down in my albums list, and scrolling back up, the album covers disappear again. It definitely seems related to the cache, as if it displays the cover when it has to write to the InternalCache, but when it's no longer needed it can't see it anymore.

I thought this would be a Linux permissions issue but I chmod 777'd the entire directory and still no luck.

vincent kars

If it is a matter of Musicbee/Wine not able to find the cache, maybe this one is of use as it is about using the cache at another location.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19555.msg116994#msg116994

ThatEpicBanana

I'm also having this exact problem running MusicBee with Bottles on Pop-OS.
I've tried linking the cache folder to a different location, but it didn't help.
Is there any way to just disable caching? I feel like that would be a good quick solution before it gets fixed
Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 06:41:26 AM by ThatEpicBanana

ThatEpicBanana

I'm also having this exact problem running MusicBee with Bottles on Pop-OS.
I've tried linking the cache folder to a different location, but it didn't help.
Is there any way to just disable caching? I feel like that would be a good quick solution before it gets fixed

Update: I switched to a traditional wine install and that fixed it along with a bunch of other issues I was having (such as the automatic bottom track panel colors)