Author Topic: Where are flac ratings stored?  (Read 951 times)

Ikarus

Hello, previously I have had my music library in mp3 but I am updating everything to flac. When I use to rate mp3 files they would directly store in the mp3 files and be embedded. Now that I am using flac, whenever I rate my files I don't see them being embedded into the file. I am wondering where they are being stored. For example, if I were to switch computers and take my library with me, how would I also take my ratings to my new musicbee client?

Zak

• Global Moderator
Working fine for me.
Ratings are stored in a RATING tag, on a scale from 0 to 100.
Try Edit > Edit Preferences > Tags (1) and make sure you haven't accidentally unchecked Store ratings in the music file.
Bee excellent to each other...

Ikarus

Working fine for me.
Ratings are stored in a RATING tag, on a scale from 0 to 100.
Try Edit > Edit Preferences > Tags (1) and make sure you haven't accidentally unchecked Store ratings in the music file.
I have this enabled and I don't see any of the ratings being embedded into my flac files

Just to add to this as well, when I used to rate mp3 files with the 5 stars from music bee I used to be able to see this on my mp3 files by right clicking and going into properties where there would be 5 gold stars showing. Is that not how it works for flacs?

For example:
I rated a mp3 file and was able to see it update

I did this with a FLAC file and nothing changed:
Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:11:29 PM by Ikarus

Ikarus

Now I understand, the rating is literally stored in <rating> and that is embedded into the file... I thought it would all just show up as stars on the rating property of the actual file...

The Incredible Boom Boom

I have never used the Windows Properties pop-up to look for tags in my files. You should be using the Tag Inspector or a speciality tagging program to properly view all tags in a file.

phred

• Global Moderator
You also should not be converting MP3 files to FLAC. You're taking a lossy format and the lossiness will still be present when converting to FLAC. The same goes for converting a lower bitrate MP3 to a higher bitrate MP3. The "damage" is already done and converting does nothing to improve the quality.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

boroda

The "damage" is already done and converting does nothing to improve the quality.
, but increases file size!

hiccup

@phred & boroda,

The OP said he is updating his library to have flac's instead of mp3's.
I am guessing these flac's are new and lossless, and not re-encoded from mp3. (what would indeed be a bad idea)

phred

• Global Moderator
0he OP said he is updating his library to have flac's instead of mp3's.
Yes, I saw that. But some people may consider "converting" the same as "updating." Either way, I felt the OP should be made away of the consequences.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here