I wrote some scripts to tag some of my flac files and noticed the "encoded with" value of these files shows up as "Mutagen 1.45.1" in MusicBee.What software did you use to write these tags?
For context Mutagen is a python library that I used to edit the tags, it's not an encoder. I can't imagine a tagger would alter the encoder value for any reason (or at least I hope not).
It must have used Mutagen, and Mutagen is used for the text encoding of the metadata.
So technically it is not wrong that MusicBee displays that Mutagen 1.45.1 was used as an encoder
(posting this in 'Bug Reports' seems a bit premature to me)
I wrote the software myself. And, as I mentioned in my post, I did use the Mutagen library to write the tags. That said, Mutagen is a tagging library, not an encoder. I don't see anything in the documentation that would allow me to set or edit the file's encoder data.
I reported it as a bug for a few reasons:
- The issue could be a me issue, it could be a mutagen issue or it could be a MusicBee issue. If it is a me issue, I have run out of ideas (tagging a file is pretty straightforward so there is not much to debug.) Between Mutagen and MusicBee - the next couple of bullets cover why I chose to start with MusicBee
- I am fairly certain MusicBee was working as expected in the past (ie it reported the encoder properly)
- MusicBee is pulling nothing as the encoder in many of my other flac files. I could have sworn that similar files were not only pulling the right encoder info in the past but they were also writing it to tags on updates. Because of this I assume something may have changed in MusicBee (or it's supporting libraries) specific to reading/displaying/writing the encoder data at some point
That said, I am open to further troubleshooting on my end but without knowing where to look for the encoder data in the file or knowing how musicbee is reading the data I am not sure how to proceed. If I was an issue at my workplace this is typically the stage of troubleshooting that I would involve one of my developers and ask them to work with the tester, to help isolate the issue, so I took the same approach here.