Author Topic: Switching from AIF to WAV  (Read 538 times)

SDFArgie

I know this is a big task, but I want to use the volume analysis tool and that doesn't work on AIF files, so I am converting all my files to WAV.

When I convert from AIF to WAV (using convertio) I don't do rescan as this would find all the WAV files as new additions. I want to keep my setup playlists and play count data and so forth, but MB requires that I update each individual file link (via find lost file) if I want to keep all my playlist and other file data (which I do).

Is there a way to get MB to find all the missing files for an album at once as this would save multiple steps in what will be a long process?

phred

• Global Moderator
Why WAV??
I strongly (STRONGLY) suggest FLAC instead of WAV. WAV has very poor support for tags.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SDFArgie

Happy to use FLAC - it was not a "tag researched" choice.

Would I still have the same issues of needing to edit individual files in order to maintain all my playlist entries and so forth?

SDFArgie

Also, when I tried FLAC the locate file process all the album, playlist and other tags needed to be re-entered, so the problem is worse than for WAV (and file size is not an issue for me).

frankz

If you use MB's built-in file converter and set "replace the source file - the original file will be deleted"  as well as "play and skip count: copy from source file" and "artwork: copy settings from source file" I'm pretty sure it will replace the source file in all respects.  It will copy the tags to the new file, associate the artwork or embed as warranted,  and put the new file in any playlist where the source file existed. 

It definitely copies the tags and artwork settings - I'm not 100% sure about adding it to playlists but I'm fairly certain. 

Try it on an album before doing bulk to make sure you get the results you want.

Zak

• Global Moderator
WAV wasn't a good format when it was created three decades ago.
There is no practical reason to use it for music today, and as far as MusicBee is concerned will offer no benefits over the much better supported FLAC.
Bee excellent to each other...

SDFArgie

If you use MB's built-in file converter and set "replace the source file - the original file will be deleted"  as well as "play and skip count: copy from source file" and "artwork: copy settings from source file" I'm pretty sure it will replace the source file in all respects.  It will copy the tags to the new file, associate the artwork or embed as warranted,  and put the new file in any playlist where the source file existed. 

Thank you!! This works perfectly.

For reference to others who might pick up this thread: - as with most MB functions, be careful to make sure you examine all options when converting files.