Author Topic: LyricsReloaded (Latest)  (Read 59260 times)

hiccup

After a long period of testing I think I can draw up some conclusions for myself.
The plugin is giving fantastic results these days, using this order of providers which I have found to be optimal:

1. Genius
2. MusixMatch
3. Deezer
4. Metal Archives (*)
5. Genius (fuzzy)
6. Deezer (fuzzy)

(*) only useful if you have a lot of (more obscure?) metal

To give some insights in the results I got during testing, here's a small sheet showing some results.

The test set contained around 250 songs that were matched with correct lyrics using Lyrics Reloaded with the above order of providers.
In the sheet the "100%" at the top represents these 250 songs.
The other cells show the success rates for individual providers and some combinations of them.

The test set was slightly larger than 250, of which about a dozen were not matched at all, or received incorrect lyrics.
Incorrect ones that came from Genius are at the bottom of the sheet.
(Deezer (fuzzy) provided many incorrect matches, but those didn't affect the positive outcome because Genius and Musixmatch would catch correct lyrics before Deezer (fuzzy) was queried)

Note that while 'Genius (fuzzy)' has a great success rate by itself, it will also provide a lot of incorrect lyrics when used as the sole provider.
(I saw incorrect matches rates well above 10% in that case)
To avoid that, Genius, MusixMatch and Deezer should always be set to come before Genius (fuzzy).

Thanks everyone that was and is developing and contributing to Lyrics Reloaded!
Time for me to stop testing now and sit back and enjoy ;-)
Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:43:16 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks hiccup for another fine analytical observation.

Are you using Deezer, or Deezer 2.0? I'm not sure where 2.0 came from (perhaps a stand-alone YML update in the thread that I've incorporated into the mix) but I seem to be getting good results with it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Are you using Deezer, or Deezer 2.0?
Just 'Deezer' as the plugin provides by default. (and then the fuzzy version)
I'm not aware of a 2.0 version. Perhaps it was something that once differentiated between strict and fuzzy versions of Deezer?

hiccup

Thanks hiccup for another fine analytical observation.
You're welcome.
One reason for doing the 'epilogue' sheet like this was because I thought that sveakul was curious about individual performances of the options to retrieve lyrics from Genius. And that made me more curious too ;-)

Sekt0r

I am noticing a lot of lyrics retrieved using Genius (fuzzy) getting "You might also like" appended at the end of the lyrics.

For the purpose of testing, here some songs that are affected by this:

Khruangbin & Leon Bridges - Mariella
Material - Seven Souls
Minus the Bear - Thanks for the Killer Game of Crisco® Twister
John Martyn - Some People Are Crazy

(it's not something that will show up frequently for most users because in most cases 'Genius' (or MusixMatch or Deezer) will retrieve the lyrics before 'fuzzy' does)

I just noticed this myself with Genius (fuzzy) and have an example of it where it's not at the end of the lyrics but just before the last chorus.

Song: Yelawolf & Caskey - Billy and the Purple Datsun

I'll also add I've had my list of providers setup the same as hiccup's optimal list minus the Metal Archives and finding the results to be well, optimal this way as well.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not aware of a 2.0 version. Perhaps it was something that once differentiated between strict and fuzzy versions of Deezer?
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36952.msg205197#msg205197

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36952.msg205197#msg205197
I am guessing that is a version similar to what is now included with Lyrics Reloaded to replace a previous more 'fuzzy' version.
But that's just a guess.
Mayibongwe will be able to explain.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
I am noticing a lot of lyrics retrieved using Genius (fuzzy) getting "You might also like" appended at the end of the lyrics.
Oops, I forgot to include that correction when I made the upload. I had grabbed an old yml that was around before this line had started showing up.
But that's been fixed now - get the updated version from the usual providers folder located in the same download link as the plugin.

As always, I really appreciate the effort and time you've invested in testing and providing feedback on the accuracy rate of these providers.
I've updated the second post of this thread with your new findings and the recommended order of priority.

I am guessing that is a version similar to what is now included with Lyrics Reloaded to replace a previous more 'fuzzy' version.
Yes, it's the same (strict) version which is now built into the plugin.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, it's the same (strict) version which is now built into the plugin.
So for my own clarity, Deezer is built in, while Deezer 2.0 is a user-added YML. And they're both the same (strict), correct?

And the new updated download link still says v1.1.17.0. So is what I just downloaded 1.1.17.0, or something newer that has the "you may also like" fix in it?

Thanks.
Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:45:37 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
So for my own clarity, Deezer is built in, while Deezer 2.0 is a user-added YML. And they're both the same (strict), correct?
And the new updated download link still says v1.1.17.0. So is what I just downloaded 1.1.17.0, or something newer that has the "you may also like" fix in it?
Yes, that's right. The Deezer 2.0 that I had posted earlier in the thread is completely identical to the current (v1.1.17.0) built-in Deezer.
So it's safe to discard the 2.0 Deezer yml as it is no different to the current built-in version.

The "you may also like" fix is a correction to the Genius (fuzzy) version that I had uploaded initially.
So users who are using that fuzzy version will need to get the updated yml from the providers folder if they want that line gone.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the clarification, Mayibongwe.

Keep up the good work. It's very much appreciated.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

As always, I really appreciate the effort and time you've invested in testing and providing feedback on the accuracy rate of these providers.
No problem. I was just curious to understand how the selection of providers and their order influenced getting good or bad results.

And by now it has been proven to be essential to get that correct.
Other selections or ordering can quickly turn the results of the plugin into less than average.

A thought:

Perhaps something could be done so that the plugin performs optimal out-of-the-box.
Without the user needing to search and learn how to set and tweak things to get optimal results.

But with keeping the current flexibility for advanced users to set things to their personal preference.
What do you think?

sveakul

FWIW just today started seeing ticket promos embedded in the built-in latest Genius source for SOME results--nowhere near as ubiquitous (and now fixed) as the "you may also like" comment though.  Both were about 3 verses from the end.  Two examples:

(Florence and the Machine - What kind of man?)

What kind of man loves like this?
What kind of man?
See Florence + the Machine LiveGet tickets as low as $73

(The Strokes - At the Door)

Sinkin' like a stone
So use me like an oar
See The Strokes LiveGet tickets as low as $170

phred

• Global Moderator
Those little Genius techs are keeping Mayibongwe on his toes.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

FWIW just today started seeing ticket promos embedded in the built-in latest Genius source for SOME results
Interesting, and also odd.
I just tried these two songs using only 'Genius', and both got the lyrics retrieved perfectly without any 'promo' text inserted in the lyrics.

So there could be some external factor in play here?
Perhaps something related to regions?
I'm in Europe, and I've noticed before that when I am using a VPN set to a USA server I suddenly am presented with some advertising elements that I usually don't get.
(e.g. on Google's main search page)
Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 11:03:37 PM by hiccup