Author Topic: LyricsReloaded (Latest)  (Read 59296 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I will spend some time double-checking lyrics that were retrieved from Google over the past couple of days, but I'm certainly not going through 2000 files. I'll do what I can to check a hundred or so.
I checked the lyrics of 73 tracks that were sourced from Google using plugin v1.1.15.2 or 1.1.15.3. I could not find a single one with incorrect lyrics. Note that these are not obscure artists, but quite mainstream: Grateful Dead, Etta James, Al Kooper, J. Geils, and Janis Joplin, among others.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

The current statistics of my finds:

- corrected the mistakes in my previous table where Lyrics Freak and Deezer incorrectly showed a high percentage of 'wrong lyrics'
- added more songs to the sample database to improve on variety
  (e.g. two songs by Die Antwoord, as an homage to the new maintainer of this plugin
- added the column 'not found by Genius'
  because it now seems clear to me that Genius is the obvious choice to set as the main lyrics provider
  this column should be helpful as an indication to decide on adding, and setting the order of other providers to be searched for lyrics
Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:12:25 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
A new statistic of my finds:
This is really great information. I have reordered my providers list based on your findings.

I appreciate the time this must've taken. Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

This is really great information. I have reordered my providers list based on your findings.
I appreciate the time this must've taken. Thanks.
You are welcome phred.
Just remember to not set your VPN service to mimic some European country if you set to use 'Google' ;-)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Thanks for your reports guys. Really appreciated.

What would e.g. add variety to my selection would be hip-hop/rap (I don't have much of that)
What would not be useful is music from artists such as The Beatles, U2, Simply Red, Adele, etc.
The lyrics for their music will easily be found by most providers.
Neither do I. But I assume Genius has a lot of that. I recall reading somewhere that it was initially called Rap Genius, but then later expanded to other genres and stuff.
I had the assumption that the majority of everyone's collection would most certainly be mainstream/popular.
In any of the providers, I had zero faith in finding lyrics for my local artists' music or some EDM songs that usually get released on YT only.
Unless we found more providers like Oldie Lyrics with databases inclusive of obscure music, those without a lot of pop music would not find a lot of joy with this yet.

This is essentially a call to anyone who knows any other sites with a fairly large database, besides the ones we have already.

I'm honestly shook by Deezer's 0% incorrect return rate.
It is using the 'free text searching' method that we've already seen to be not too reliable.
I guess that kind of searching is specific to websites (some recommend incorrect lyrics where there are no matches, while others do not).
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

hiccup

I'm honestly shook by Deezer's 0% incorrect return rate.
It is using the 'free text searching' method that we've already seen to be not too reliable.
Either it's a result of your great work on the plugin,
or I f*ed up. (again)

If you or anyone else runs into wrong lyrics provided by Deezer, please post the Artist - Song in this thread.
I'll then add it to my sample database, and we can get rid of the virgin 0% ;-)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
The statistics post from hiccup above has been linked in the second post of this thread.
It'll be very useful to everyone when it comes to deciding on what order to set these built-in and optional providers.

Personally, I only have google enabled.
While testing Lyrics Freak the other weekend, I realized that my IP address must have been temporarily banned because the provider was no longer going past "...tries to load lyrics".
Assuming this was likely to happen with other providers as well, I had disabled them and left google alone as it was getting good results for my specific collection.
So enabling others would have been redundant for my use case.

Edit:
The plugin also has some rate limiting code in it. So maybe that played a role as well and it wasn't necessarily the website that had put a temp ban on me.

hiccup

While testing Lyrics Freak the other weekend, I realized that my IP address must have been temporarily banned because the provider was no longer going past "...tries to load lyrics".
Yeah, rate limiting for sure is another complication/consideration.
During testing my IP was banned by Musixmatch.
A good deed never goes unpunished :-(

sveakul

This is essentially a call to anyone who knows any other sites with a fairly large database, besides the ones we have already.
My #1 recommendation there would be the Metal Archives database (https://www.metal-archives.com/).  Despite the site name, this giant discography contains many genres that stretch way beyond the expected "metalhead" foundation, with plenty of cross-over into goth, wave, alternative, etc.  When they are available, which is most of the time, the lyrics appear in the album track listing when "Show lyrics" is clicked, as in the example below.

The only problem I know of is that MusicBee users in Russia would find this URL not available without VPN due to content dispute.

hiccup

The statistics post from hiccup above has been linked in the second post of this thread.
I notice that post also mentions the supported providers:

-   Cušpajz
-   Letras de músicas
-   Lyrics Freak
-   Lyrics Mania
-   Lyrics Mode
-   Oldie Lyrics
-   Smriti
-   Song Lyrics
-   Teksty

It might be good if we could add and describe what the added value of each of those providers is (supposed to be).
To make that happen it would be nice if users that use them and have some experience with them could provide some input on that.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
My #1 recommendation there would be the Metal Archives database (https://www.metal-archives.com/).
Thanks. Will look at that one just now.

I notice that post also mentions the supported providers.
Tomorrow evening, I will add all of them as plugin defaults. I will see how it goes in the long run.
My biggest fear with regards to making them all defaults was that it would take a toll on me, as it would require me to quickly fix the plugin whenever any of the providers broke.
If they won't break as often as I assume, then I can manage having all of them included.

It might be good if we could add and describe what the added value of each of those providers is (supposed to be).
To make that happen it would be nice if users that use them and have some experience with them could provide some input on that.
Hope others will step in here whenever they get time.
I'm not the best candidate for this. As I've mentioned, I mostly have pop music which any provider is likely to find.
While deciding on whether the new additions were good enough to be published, I was making sure that they, at the very least, had MJ's Heal The World.

hiccup

Tomorrow evening, I will add all of them as plugin defaults. I will see how it goes in the long run.
Are you sure it's a good idea to add them all?
At this moment it doesn't seem clear what the added value of each of them is.

I have tried a few of them, and many didn't seem to add any value. (for the songs I have been testing the plugin on)
'Quality over quantity' to me would seem a better approach here.
Maybe only add the ones that are proven to have added value, and/or are specifically requested by users?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
My #1 recommendation there would be the Metal Archives database.
A yml for Metal Archives has been added to the providers zip file. You'll also need to re-download the plugin to get it working.
Their structure is somewhat different to what we'd been working on before - so some part of the plugin needed updating.

Maybe only add the ones that are proven to have added value, and/or are specifically requested by users?
Agreed. I've now added Letras de músicas as a default provider as well.
Will look to include Lyrics Freak on the next update.

hiccup

Agreed. I've now added Letras de músicas as a default provider as well.
I had high hopes for that one, because at first it seemed to provide lyrics others didn't have.
But after more testing and fine-tuning, I now don't find it to have much added value any more.
And what is very bad about it, most lyrics it returns have long listings of webpage code beneath them, making things very ugly.
(that might get resolved by tuning the yml, but considering the added value of Letras, I am not going to bother with that myself)

hiccup

Btw, I just updated the stats image in post #91
(#92 if you are logged-in)

It now also displays the results when using a third provider additional to:
1. Genius
2. Musixmatch
3. ...