Author Topic: LyricsReloaded (Latest)  (Read 61662 times)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Yeah, the google search engine really does a marvelous job at getting accurate results, even when fed with slightly incorrect or incomplete information.
When I began looking at this, I wondered why nobody had ever tried using it as a direct source before.
But I soon realized there was a plugin limitation to it at the time. The plugin was using Firefox to return the websites' html dumps.
It worked fine for every other site, but with google webpages, it was returning some html filtered out content that didn't contain the full lyrics.

Still hoping for (more) feedback on the edited portion of this post: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36952.msg202801#msg202801
sveakul suggested that other providers be added back in as defaults. What do people think?
My opinion on it is stated on that reply, but the way forward obviously has to be what the majority decides.
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

hiccup

Yeah, the google search engine really does a marvelous job at getting accurate results, even when fed with slightly incorrect or incomplete information.
Party pooper here:
I get nothing using Google.
Zilch, nada, nakkes.

I briefly looked at the source code, and looked at the google part in it.
It's pretty much all abracadabra to me, but I did notice something I didn't really understand, but what seemed off.
But this vague hunch/complaint isn't helpful. I'll try to come up with a more detailed report the coming weekend.
(I am using FireFox for what it's worth)

hiccup

Still hoping for (more) feedback on the edited portion of this post: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36952.msg202801#msg202801
sveakul suggested that other providers be added back in as defaults. What do people think?
My opinion on it is stated on that reply, but the way forward obviously has to be what the majority decides.
I'll get back on that later too.
Considering my current issue with the google option, right now I would say yes.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
I'll try to come up with a more detailed report the coming weekend.
I'll be waiting for it. There's not a lot to work with at the moment.

But in the code, there is something about a default user agent. It was set to 'Firefox' when I started working on this.
And when I tried using the exact same google.yml, it was only returning 24 lines of html code that only contained about a paragraph of lyrics.
So I experimented with changing that user agent to 'Chrome', and all of a sudden, I was getting the full google html dump (200+ lines) that contained the lyrics.

My default and only web browser installed on this laptop is Chrome. So maybe that's why it works all of a sudden.
But I don't suppose phred, sveakul and others are all using Chrome as their default browsers too?

Just a premature hunch (from me) on why it may not be working as intended for you
Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:31:51 PM by Mayibongwe
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

phred

• Global Moderator
It's been documented on some Mozilla forums that Google limits it's search results (or provides different results) when the user agent is not Chrome. I'm a strong user of and believer in Firefox and would only use Chrome if a gun was being held to my head. On occasion I have changed my user agent to Chrome in order to get better results. 99% of the time I use DuckDuckGo for web searches.
Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:11:37 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

…and would only use Chrome is a gun was being held to my head. On occasion I have changed my user agent to Chrome in order to get better results.
So you do have Chrome installed on your system?
Perhaps that's a prerequisite for the google part of the plugin to work.

Anyone without Chrome on his/her sytem using the new version of the plugin and getting results using google as the lyrics finder engine?

phred

• Global Moderator
So you do have Chrome installed on your system?
I have a portable version of Chrome installed. But I using FF with a chrome user agent long before I installed Chrome. And got better results with it on FF than I did when using a FF user agent. But that doesn't confirm if Chrome is needed for the new plugin to work. Although I wouldn't think so.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I have a portable version of Chrome installed. But I using FF with a chrome user agent long before I installed Chrome.
To me that's making it even more complicated.
So you have both Chrome portable installed, and some Chrome engine (agent?) that your FireFox uses in the background?

Let's keep it simple and wait for confirmation from somebody who has no Chrome software on his system at all.

phred

• Global Moderator
... and some Chrome engine (agent?) that your FireFox uses in the background?
No. A user agent is a text string (in FF) that tells the targeted website what browser I'm using. In this case the user agent is spoofing Chrome. There is no Chrome engine that's being used. But, as you know, the plugin isn't using FF or any other browser.

Since my Chrome install is portable, I will remove it and test the plugin and report back.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sveakul

Anyone without Chrome on his/her sytem using the new version of the plugin and getting results using google as the lyrics finder engine?
I do not have Chrome, only Firefox.  I am getting good results using Google selected as the primary lyrics finder, about 60% of first returned hits are from it (normally other sources find results also) and 40% of the hits are only from the yml sources.  A lot of this depends on the genre.  I listen to LOTS of obscure radio streams and sometimes the results will invert, but Google remains for me a valuable source.

Just to put my two cents in here to the question about building yml's into the DLL with Google, I would not mind that unless it came at the cost of the plugin never being able to use ymls in the "providers" folder anymore.  The idea of keeping both separate also appeals to circumstances when no other serach type (API, etc) is available other than scraping.
Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:51:35 PM by sveakul

phred

• Global Moderator
Just to put my two cents in here to the question about building yml's into the DLL with Google, I would not mind that unless it came at the cost of the plugin never being able to use ymls in the "providers" folder anymore.  The idea of keeping both separate also appeals to circumstances when no other serach type (API, etc) is available other than scraping.
I wouldn't mind all the sources built into the plugin but if one of the sources changes its parameters for searching Mayibongwe will have to update the entire plugin. Whereas if we are using external YML files, it can be updated as soon as someone can figure out the new parameters. And that won't be me since I've tried before and have not been successful.  Either way we (I) would have to wait for a fix.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Casual Tea

I've tested the latest version of this plugin yesterday, and while the yaml sources work very well, I have as of yet not gotten a single Google result.
Thinking that maybe the artist I was listening to did not yield results on google, I used the "Google Search" feature from within MusicBee on a song.
Which did yield results for
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Matthew%20and%20the%20Atlas%22+%22Cali%22+lyrics
this query for example. Clicking through the provider results within MusicBee and even redoing the search does not list Google as a source tho.
Tell me if you need more information about my setup to troubleshoot. I have both Firefox and Chrome installed (mainly using Firefox) and I tested this in MusicBee 3.5.8150.

hiccup

I'll try to come up with a more detailed report the coming weekend.
I'll be waiting for it. There's not a lot to work with at the moment.
It looks like it's a regional issue. (I'm in Europe)
On a hunch I activated a VPN connection (using a USA server) and the google option gives results.

(and the google main page suddenly displays commercial messages)
Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:20:43 PM by hiccup

Casual Tea

That might be it. I'm from Europe as well.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Ooh that's unfortunate. If there is a way to fix something like that within the plugin, I sadly wouldn't know anything about it.
Is the VPN workaround something you guys can live with?

To the both of you: in the log file when not using a VPN, what output does google flush out?
Do all the following steps not get processed?

02-08-2022 01:59:39 [DEBUG] Lyrics request: Alan Walker - Faded - Different World - Google
02-08-2022 01:59:39 [INFO] Google tries to load the lyrics...
02-08-2022 01:59:39 [DEBUG] The constructed URL: https://www.google.com/search?q=faded+alan-walker+lyrics
02-08-2022 01:59:41 [DEBUG] gzip compression detected
02-08-2022 01:59:43 [SUCCESS] lyrics found from Google!