Author Topic: Single FLAC + CUE disappears from inbox after conversion  (Read 746 times)

Messiaen

Using 3.5.8233 P, this appears to be a regression as it does not happen with 3.4 - and, for me at least, is repeatable.

Basically I drop a folder containing a single FLAC rip and its CUE file into the inbox, select the album and convert it to MP3 (320, using "replace the source file" setting) and MB correctly produces the individual files as expected (in the folder).

However, when the conversion is complete the album simply vanishes from the inbox, and must be "re-dropped" for the usual tag editing.  And by "vanishes" I mean the files remain where they are supposed to be on the disc, it's just that the album is visually wiped from the inbox, and attempts to F5-refresh have no effect.

This only happens with single FLAC + CUE conversions... if the album is already in separate FLAC files, the album display remains as expected afterwards.

Also, (unrelated to the above), folders which have a '.' anywhere in the name ("Jarrett - Köln (44.1kHz)" can't be dragged into the inbox (the cursor changes to "blocked"); however, editing the name to remove or change the '.' character to something else such as "44-1kHz" will allow dropping as usual.  Strange.

Steven

• Administrator
i would expect the 'replace source file' setting to delete the original flac file and remove it from the inbox as it would no longer exist after the conversion has completed.
As to whether the new mp3 files are sent to the inbox depends on whether that option is enabled in the file converter. So can you confirm it is and that you mean the new mp3 files are not appearing in the inbox

edit:
i suppose the fact that the file being replaced is in the inbox means the new files should also be kept in the Inbox. However the questions remain

Messiaen

As that was the behaviour in 3.4, I assumed it was normal.  The option to add converted files to inbox is unavailable if one selects "replace the source file", it only seems to be possible if selecting "or move to new folder" which is not really what I wanted as it leaves the detritus of the original files behind (the "true" originals are kept in archived-form and not used in real-time, so are only extracted before adding to the library) - hence the downgraded conversion to MP3.

To answer the question though, yes, it's the newly converted files which aren't appearing in the inbox, so I guess maybe it's not a bug (despite being different from 3.4, and despite being different to what happens if the originals are loose-FLAC's which don't need a CUE)?  But what would be the point of converting files in the inbox if not to use the resulting files afterwards in the inbox itself?

To be honest, as a semi-new user it took me a minute to figure out the paradigm of the inbox-quasi-purgatory-not-really-the-library thing in the first place, so... yeah.   :)
Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:59:40 AM by Messiaen

Steven

• Administrator
if the original flac file is in the inbox, and the file converter has "replace the source file" enabled then the newly converted files should appear in the inbox and the original file removed as its deleted.
So by the sounds of it, that isnt happening so its a bug

Steven

• Administrator
trying now its working fine for me as described above. Perhaps i am missing something you are doing?
A screenshot of the file converter dialog might help

edit:
actually i can reproduce the issue if the cue/flac file is newly added to the inbox and MB hasnt been restarted
Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:07:53 AM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator

Messiaen

Yep, that did it - thanks.  It's theologically comforting to know that purgatory has consistent rules once again.

And not to be greedy, but the folder-names being rejected in drag-n-drop when containing a '.' is still there.  Different issue though, just an incredibly frustrating one.  ;)
Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:44:41 AM by Messiaen

Steven

• Administrator

Messiaen

Still not working (3.5.8234 P)... any other drag-n-drop of folders works fine, but '.'-marked still results in the mouse-cursor turning to the blocked-image and nothing can be selected as a drop target, not the inbox menu item, the inbox tab itself, not even the library proper.  Editing out the period allows all to work normally.