Author Topic: MusicBee has been changing the Date Created value of many mp3's in music folder  (Read 923 times)

Astro Gaze

Hello MusicBee Community!

I think I found a bug.
MusicBee has been changing the Date Created value of many mp3's in my music folder, and I would prefer that it didn't. I think there are 2 separate causes.
 1. When editing lyrics through Music Bee's lyrics panel, date created and date modified were both changed. Noticed one song do this, then verified my hypothesis with another song.
 2. I haven't figured out the cause, but a large batch of 1,166 files also have a new date created value. This goes back to 04-Jun-2022.

Please help, as I like to keep my music folder as organized as my player.

If you want a little more info...
1. I sort my music folder by date created. When opening it today, I saw an old file at the top of the list with a date created from today. It was strange since I didn't touch the file directly. Then I remembered that I edited it's lyrics from Music Bee's lyrics panel. So I tested this theory on another file, and sure enough I got the same result. New date created value, and date modified to match, in the music folder.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any connection between, editing lyrics causing a new date created value. I did however find a thread where someone explained that editing tags changes the date modified value so that Music Bee knows to address the file during a wired/wireless sync. Updating the date modified value makes sense, but not date created. I believe there's a bug that's tangling date created into this as well.

2. Also, while looking back through the music folder, I found 1,166 random, older files, who now have a new date created value. But I'm certain I didn't edit the lyrics for these. So there's another cause for this issue, but I can't think of what that might be. The bulk of this batch (about 1000) had it's date created changed on 04-Jun-2022, every minute from 7:09pm-7:30pm. That suggests there was a running process that changed them. The remaining were sporadic, leading up to today. While I can't think of what might be this second cause, I know it started on 04-Jun-2022, and I hadn't edited these lyrics.

Version 3.4.8033
Windows 10

Any and all help are greatly appreciated,
Astro Gaze

Steven

• Administrator
MusicBee has been changing the Date Created value of many mp3's in my music folder, and I would prefer that it didn't.
MB doesnt touch the date created attribute of a file, however sometimes there isnt enough room in a file for new tag data so the file needs to be recreated from scratch. I dont consider that a bug
Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:50:44 AM by Steven

Astro Gaze

MB doesn't touch the date created attribute of a file, however sometimes there isnt enough room in a file for new tag data so the file needs to be recreated from scratch. I don't consider that a bug

Whoa, that's interesting! I've never heard of that. Would you mind telling me how this works? This is a shot in the dark but, does it gain more data by re-encoding the file to a higher ID3Tag version?

What's the max capacity of a file's tag data?
I do tend to like high quality images encoded into the file. So it could be possible that I'm eating up the allotted space.

boroda

do you have this plugin:

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/49/additional-tagging-amp-reporting-tools/

installed?

I do, but it's on my bucket list of things to try. How can it help?
it can change some tags (or even file attributes) if you accidentally have ticked some ASR presets for auto-applying.

Astro Gaze

Thank you to Steven and boroda for your knowledge and insanely quick replies!
I guess I was wrong about this being a bug.
I do have some other thoughts, but I think I'll move the discussion over to the Wishlist to see if it interests any other users, or if they can improve on them.