Author Topic: 3 wishes: easier browsing, always search "library", new playlist options  (Read 3680 times)

jbee

I've been using MusicBee for quite some time now, it is by far the best music player I've come across.
But there are a few things that I would like to see which would make the MusicBee experience even better!

The following wishes are in order, from "most wished for":

1. Album- and Artist browse options.
Right now, by right-clicking on any song you can easily click "Find more %Artist% in library" or "Find more %Album% in library", to browse these. However, I think this is one step too many. I would like being able to just left-click either the artist name or the album name and it would preform just this action. GUI idea: Hovering over the artist name, or the album name, would underscore this and change the mouse arrow to the "link pointer hand".

Right now, when left-clicking you can quick-edit the field that you clicked. The above would turn this off, but you could still right-click and go to "Edit". For more awesomeness there could even be a new option in the right-click menu: "Quick edit", which would do just what the current left-click does. Now, the default behavior of the users choice could be toggled somewhere in the "Preference" of MusicBee.

2. The search field (in the upper right corner).
This should be customizable to either:
a) ALWAYS search the music library, or:
b) ONLY search the 'current playlist'
When it comes to designing the GUI for this, there could be a simple check-box with one of the above options, and if it's unchecked it would automatically mean that the other option is selected, like so:

[X] Search library (= this will search the entire music library)
[  ] Search library (= this will perform the search like it is now, just through the currently playing playlist)

3. If selecting many songs to create a playlist, and all these songs belong to the same artist and/or album, the user should be able to right-click and: Send To -> Playlist -> New Playlist -> %AlbumArtist% - %Album%

I do realize that maybe I should have put the three wishes in different posts, but I decided to do it this way anyways. I'm also not sure if any or all of these things have been wished for before, I tried to search for them but couldn't find anything related. If they have, please link to them in a reply to this post.

theholycorn

+1 to wish #1 and #2.

When I'm watching my Now Playing list I want to be able to immediately search my library for music to queue. Second wish would also be great.

Steven

• Administrator
you can middle mouse button click a field that will filter for the clicked field

Anti

Wish 1) has been addressed by Steven

Wish 2) gets a -1 from me. The 'search' is merely a temporary filter, and it acts upon whatever is loaded into the main panel. Loading results into the main panel from a node other than the one selected is an unnatural abomination.

Wish 3) also gets a -1 from me. I'd rather just have them logically named Playlist (1), etc and rename them as I wish, rather than having a name selected for me (one that I'd usually have to rename anyway).

Sorry to be so negative!

Thorbjorn

+1 for an extra option as #1. Stevens implementation works great, but it's not very intuitive for users not used to MB.